1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by marioazcats/nh, Jan 14, 2010.

1. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

I'm trying to decide what to go with. I have a 2005 gmc Sierra half ton.
    Either a Boss Standard Duty or Fisher Standard Duty. I own and maintain my
    own rental properties(16) majority of them have gravel driveways. I would appreciate any input. Thanks:confused:
  2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

7'6" Fisher SD with pro wings. That's what I'd get
  3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You can't go wrong with either or really. I would also look into Western, as Fisher is basically the same thing.
  4. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

we changed over the majority of our plows to fishers over the last 2 years and have had really good luck, any warranty issues are addressed immediately.

from OHIO

I just got a myers and has been bulletproof since day one,
  6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Go with whichever one has a better dealer and service department in your local area. The closer to your home and plow accounts the better. Those factors being equal, go with whichever one is less expensive to you. Those two things being equal, do you like red or yellow better?
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

go boss if you have a lot of gravel lots. unless you have experience plowing. then either one is fine. but if you have no experience its gonna look like an excavator attacked your gravel lot when your using a fisher they just bury into gravel unless you take them out of float. a full trip plow handles gravel a little better
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

What mayhem said---a dealer's integrity is priceless!!!!
  9. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Yep agreed on the whole dealer thing...
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Direct lift would be much better with all gravel. Boss, or Fisher HT. What about a Sno-Way?
  11. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Being in the plow bussiness at the top of the heap since 1948 is not a simple task. With all the firms making plows there is alot of good stuff out there nowadays. My next door neighbor has a 1982 Dodge D150 that he bought brand new with a Fisher 7 1/2' QS installed on it. The truck now has 28 seasons on it and is rusted literally in two ........................... it has plowed continuously every winter . He plows 1/2 mile of camp road besides a bunch of his familys driveways and it has seen some hard use.
    I looked it over carefully a few weeks ago and I think it is safe to say it is still in darn good shape overall and will certainly go well into wearing out another pickup truck! I really doubt there is ANY other plow on the market today that will last that long after that many years ....................... they are all good when there new and if you only plow 4" storms on paved driveways they are all good.
    When you are plowing 2ft storms all the time on dirt roads the lighter weight plows begin to come unraveled................... it all according to what you going to do with it. If you want inexpensive there is all kinds of em. There has been some of the local woods contractors here that have tryed the Red plows here in Northern Maine to plow woods roads which is absolute hell on any plow and would test an anvil............. they were selling them quite a lot cheaper about 3 Winters ago to breaking into this market . Time will tell how they will stand up to that rough use day in and out. I cant think of many things we could buy today that would last 28 years and still be going strong and ready to trash another pickup ...................... I cant speak for the red ones but I can tell you we have used the Yellow ones since 1972 and we have had nothing but fantastic luck with them ................... good luck with what ever you buy and good plowin
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No doubt the old Fisher's were well built. Pulled a QS off a 78 Chevy. All the components were very good quality.

I think the new Fishers are still built OK, as far as size/quantity of material. But the overall quality of welds, pumps, valving, etc seems to be down.
  13. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

plowing here with 78 fisher never had any problems with it.
  14. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

Boss is a great plow .Thats what I pick. I have never had any problems and its on and off in less than a minute!!
  15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Mayhem is giving you good advice as well as if you have a good dealer right next to you that is really a major issue. I get my plows from my Uncle that has been a Fisher Dealer for 35 years and of course I am used to top of the line service from them. My cousin is the Service Manager and they have always kept us "Super Tuned" on the plows. They have a fella there that goes to all those Fisher Classes and is ontop of the latest mods and problems. He sets up all our stuff. 10 guys will tell you not to put a V on a half ton but they have no problem with it and were around before all this liablity stuff came along.
    I certainly would not be scared of a Boss Plow and if I had lots of confidence in the Dealer I would let that weigh into my decision big time. You would certainly be better off with a Red on if they are right there locally and the nearest Fisher Dealer is a long distance from your location. All things equal I am certainly a Fisher Plow guy because we had great luck with them in the woods up here .........
    For your application either plow is going to get it done. Its the same way with anything if you like Chevys and your dad had them your gonna drive em too. I like Winchester rifles as I have one that saved my life many times when I was guiding Brown Bear hunters in Alaska and will never part with it but that doesnt mean Remington doesnt make and nice rifle!
    Keep us posted what color you wind up with and I hope it does everything you need it too!
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought a 7.5' Fisher SD for my 2010 Toyota Tundra. I haven't used it yet, but I think I'm going to like it. It's built pretty rugged. I wanted to get a 7.5' Boss Trip Edge for it, but the dealer said it was to heavy for my truck. So I went to the Fisher dealer and bought a 7.5' SD. The Fisher dealer talked me out of the HT, he said it's a very light duty plow that is for home owners and not for comercial aplications. He said the SD is alot better plow than the HT.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to disagree slightly the Homesteader is the homeowner plow, the HT would stand up to small lots like a doctors office or elementary school along with driveways.
  18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just telling you what the dealer toled me.
  19. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think the Fisher has a better mounting system for your truck. Less cumbersome....
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think the Fisher site lists the HT as suitable for light commercial plowing. I suspect Mercer's dealer just isn't comfortable with the HT yet. No question it is lighter built than the SD, but hopefully the engineering is adequate and it will hold up.