1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Fisher?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FordTrucks77, Jan 22, 2012.

1. FordTrucks77

FordTrucks77 Junior Member

I am a landscaper , but new to plowing. I missed this season, but plan on plowing next season for my clients, and possibly some neighborhoods. I am from cape cod, we normally dont get much snow compaired to other places. we only have a handful of storms a year. I am unsure on what kind of plow to get. Boss or Fisher. I have a Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 that I figure I could use for driveways. I also have a 00 F250. Boss seems to be best as far as durability for comercial use. I deffinatly want a trip edge feature. thought about a homesteader for the ranger but will that be enough if that one time over a foot of snow falls? I dont want to turn around and tell my customers i cant handle it. I also dont want to break the bank. Best options for price and results? Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ranger get a Snoway. F250 get a Boss V plow.

3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Both brand are great brands. for the ranger I would go with the fisher HT, From what I have heard, they are great for back dragging drives. For the f250 an 8ft fisher X blade, also back drags well.
    The boss trip edge and the fisher hd blade do not scape that well and are poor at back dragging but the full trip boss scrapes great and also back drags well. So if go with boss get the full trip.
    I had a 7.6 boss full trip and felt the truck took less of a beating with a full trip than my fisher hd's
    Right now I am running a blizzard 810 full trip and I own 9.5 fisher xtreem V.

4. FordTrucks77

FordTrucks77 Junior Member

I was under the impression the Fisher HT was too heavy for the Ranger and could damage it. Fisher ematch only has homesteader recomendation.

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

FISHER

Don't Listen to those Crybaby Boss owners.........:nod:.....:laughing:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

If you have a local dealer, look hard at SnowDogg plows. They do have a trip edge, not sure if you can get one for your Ranger, but I have a TE80 (8') on my F250 and it is a great plow.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What a great idea for a thread. Boss vs. Fisher.

8. Matson Snow

To steal a Page from your Book.......Hee-Hee-Hee....:laughing:

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you don't have a local dealer in a brand forget it. You need local dealer support. To that end, in Mass we have more Fisher dealers then any other because they are the local manufacturer of note.

The problem with the ranger is the low weight capability for a plow- the homesteader is a light duty plow- commercial use will be dissapointing (then again unless you're only doing driveways plowing commercially with a Ranger will prove the same).
    A properly set up Fisher will scrape fine tho back dragging is weak. I would get an X-blade for the F250 - scrape like a full trip, back drag like a full trip, but are edge trip and Fisher so tons of local dealers.
    Down on the cape the tight conditions of roads and drives, I would look for another small truck like a jeep with an LT, but I would skip the ranger.

10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you on the Cape? I work in Hyannis during the summer and know that the cape dosnt get to much snow. I personally wouldnt get anything to expensive, but there are the times you guys get more than we do off cape.

11. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

I second that! haha :gunsfiring:

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss plows invented the v plow. If your going to get a v....... go Boss.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should put a 7' Boss Sport Duty on the Ranger and a Boss Trip Edge on the F-250.

14. Matson Snow

Didn't you guys hear.....Fishers Parent company..Douglas Dynamics has Purchased Boss in a Leverage Buy out....

Anoucement coming Soon....

The First Project they are working on is Called the "FiBo"......Its an expanding "V"....Its a Full trip with a Tripedge...Its gonna be Really Cool.....:nod:.....:dizzy:

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Serious question- on a boss VXT or power V when plowing in scoop mode with heavy wet snow does the plow trip because of the weight if carrying a lot of snow?

16. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

No... Unless you start stacking and your plow gets caught on the curb while you're still driving forward then it will go down. But heavy wet snow, the plow won't trip but your truck may not be able to push it anymore.