1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Fisher hydraulic fluid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by a1lawnandsnow, Dec 29, 2009.

1. a1lawnandsnow

a1lawnandsnow Junior Member
    from Racine

What's the difference between Boss and Fisher fluid I have a boss plow an the nearest dealer is an hour away. Worth the drive or just use the fisher?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

oil

i have no experience with fisher oil ,but i would think as long as it meets mil spec 5606 it should be fine .its always best if you can to do a complete oil change so the two different oils are not mixed .:salute:

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher fluid would be fine, but a full drain/flush is in order. If it is much easier to get the Fisher fluid, that is what I would use.

4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site.
    Like it has been said here many times, use any major plow oil as long as it is a premium, low temp, plow fluid. Of course like 2COR517 said, you have to flush it all out of the system and put in the new stuff. Don't mix them.

5. a1lawnandsnow

from Racine

When u guys say flush it out. Do u mean just drain it or is there another way to flush it out its a older 8'2" boss v blade I believe a RT2

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have an old belt driven hydrolic plow so I just use Automatic Transmition fluid.

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I don't know if Boss recommends anything special, but Meyers has it's own flush called Hydra-Flush , or you can get Naptha at Walmart, and now Meyer is saying to use Mineral spirts. A lot of guys use Kerosene. As for meyer, they say if you use the Kerosene, then flush it again with Hydra-Flush to make sure you get all the Kerosene out of it because the seals don't like it. The main thing is to get what ever you use out of the system and put in the recommended plow fluid. If you do a Search, I'm sure you will find a lot of information about Flushing your plow.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Purchase extra fluid of whatever brand you wish to use and use that extra to flush the system.

9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hey Mike, does plow fluid have a cleaner in it? That would save a lot of hassle. All we would have to do is empty it one time and it should be flushed. In other words just change oil? With all the talk about flushing it maybe several times to get it clean. :confused:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not an actual cleaner in it no (unlike ATF) and there's no need for it anyway if it's kept up in it's annual maintenance. Only Meyers' Hydra-flush has actually cleaning detergents in it.

The need for a flush is when you have a very contaminated system (where the Hydra-flush is killer) or when switching to a different fluid as you need to psychically pump fresh fluid throughout the system to get it all out without major dis-assembly.

11. a1lawnandsnow

from Racine

UPDATE::: thanks for all the replies. I ended up going to the Boss dealer who for some reason flipped to a western dealer sometime after october... Well long story short I was told western fluid is the same as BOSS and I shouldn't have to flush it out seeing as I did in the beginning of the season. I guess I'll just have to see how everything works out and hope that I fixed the leak for good.