1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss or blizzard

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Matt L., Feb 4, 2008.

1. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

need to know which one for my 04 dodge 1ton srw quad cab short box with cummins. looking at boss poly v or blizzard 810 or sw860. are the blizzards hydralics as fast as boss or close? and can it stack snow as high as boss? thanks.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:Why start these arguments.
    it's like posting in the Dodge forum.
    And for your first posts too...?

Ford or Dodge?...

Vica-versa.

There are numerous posts on this very subject.

Just get a plow
    Pick a color you like.
    Maybe you that matches your truck.
    Then find a dealer......

Good luck with your search.:waving:

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wait a minute, didn't I just read this thread in the Blizzard Forum. 2 more beers and I will give MO. :D Untill then, I'll agree with SF.

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would read up on these two plows. Just below this post in the Boss forum there is the same Boss vs. Blizzard. I would pick what is going to be good for you. What do you plow? How big? How much snow? I have never used any of these. But if i had to pick, i would go with the Blizzard 810. We don't get a hell of alot of snow,that i would need a V. But the 10' blade would be good for the lots i do. And the 9' scoop works well too. It cuts alot of time on clean up. I also agree with Snofarmer. Do some research, also dealer location is key.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's every question you need to answer before asking yourself (or us :D) what type of plow you should purchase. The the correct plow can only be considered correct if it's for the intended application.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You better make that 4:drinkup: Just so you can catch up;)

7. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

sorry guys

didnt mean to ruffle any feathers. just trying to get opinions from both sides. sorry again.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't ruffle my feathers Matt...just need a little more info and details before making a recommendation.

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I personally like the boss. A big reason is the mounting system, SmartHitch 2. IMO its the best one out there. Its really whats better for you, in your area too. If theres no boss dealer for 50 miles, but theres a blizzard dealer 5 miles away... Then go with the blizzard. But if parts and dealers are readily available for both, I'd go with the boss. Its really just a personal preference. The plow that each person has is the best to them, and everyone could go on and on for days about why lol.

I was in the market for a new truck and after doing research on all brands of plows, I determined that Boss was the best in my opinion, so I went out and bought the truck and had a Boss put on it. Never regreted it.

10. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

more info

hey B&B
    Im getting back into the buisness after atwo year leave so ill be starting out with residentials lotta short narrow drives not alot of room for piles also alot of lake drives snakey steep hills. that being said next year i may have a few gas stations and achurch parking lot about a acre and ahalf. again lot of back dragging.
    we do have a boss dealer here in town but i get the feelin id be on my own in an emergency anyway. the closest blizzard dealer is glens auto in grand rapids mn. what ya think?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then between the two choices you asked about, I'd choose the Boss Vee for 2 reasons:

1) If the majority of your work is going to be narrow residential's and steep winding drives I'd go with a Vee without a doubt. Very versatile/useful in both situations. The Vee in scoop position will allow you to carry the snow to the end of a narrow drive and make it easy to square the corners off. The 810 may be too wide with the wings forward while trying to contain snow to the end of the drive (if they are that narrow).

2) You have the Boss dealer support close by. I know you said you doubt you could depend on him if you needed to, but if he ended up saving you one time I think you'd feel you made the correct decision.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol
    I should have used a smileys.....
    (with out them I'm taken way to seriously)

You just got stuck in an insider discussion/joke.....

q's like yours are asked all the time, no problem.;)

I'm still wondering why i objected as i like a good debate...

13. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

thanks B&B you made a good point. I got out today at what is so far the narrowest drive ( lake customer trying to keep his property all natural.) and at the narrowest point its 12' 2" between the trees. guess narrow to me might not be narrow to others.
    I think your right about dealer support also. five minutes away and have the possibility of some help or two hours away and maybe some help.
    what do you think of carrying enough extra parts to do most repairs on my own? like hoses, etc... anything major like electrical (which im terrible at) or snap and twisted wings would have to be ordered anyway as they do not stock any thing major like that anyway. what do you pros keep on hand?
    Then theres backdragging effectively.

appreciate the info

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes dealer support is a very important factor when choosing a plow. The best plow in the world can break at any time and without access to at least parts, your dead in the water until help or parts arrive.

Spare common parts to keep on hand for a Boss Vee:

A wing hose or two

Wing spring and eye bolt

Under hood solenoid

Few qts of fluid.

If your planning to do more than a little back dragging with a Boss V you'll want to spend the extra money and get the Smart Lock cylinders. The newer V's with the formed edges back drag fine...or as good as any plow I've used. If your going to do a ton of it, then I'd also consider adding a back blade to your arsenal.

15. Quality SR

I agree with B&B. The 810 will be too wide. Also the dealer being close is also good. I just bought a Boss, and the closest Boss dealer ( 15 miles) doesn't even carry Boss Hydro oil. LOL. That is the only dealer in a 50 mile radius of me. LOL. But i dont need a 810 because i dont do anything that big. Also I have heard alot of good stuff about Boss. I only hear about blizzard on plowsite. I dont know anyone with a blizzard. So thats why i went with Boss. Plus, B&B talked me in to it. LOL Just playing. Good luck with your search.

16. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

boss or blzzard

thanks guys i got a flood of great points and info on my search.
    think im going with the boss. now its just deciding metal or poly!

17. Quality SR

That is up to you. But the Boss paint is great on the steel blades. I bought a used plow (2004 model) From a guy that lives in the NE. The paint is still all there, the sticker is gone. :cry: There is just a little surface rust on the cutting edge, and a little on the mount. The steel is freaking heavy though. LOL. Good luck

18. Quality SR

Forgot one thing. I dont think you can put wings on if you have a poly. If you decide your going to do a larger lot you might want to throw wings on, it will cut time and less clean up.

19. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

unsure about wings

im not sure about the whole wing idea. fact is i just decided to get the boss v and am wondering how it will hold up on 1 of my lake jobs. one of which has a rock as part of the drive. pretty rough until pack with snow.
    have read other posts about v plows catching cracks and bending the wing or the push frame. ouch! but then isuppose they make wings that go on and off in a couple of seconds? i know almost nothin about em. thanks for the info by the way.

20. Quality SR

Sorry i forgot you were asking about a V. They hold up pretty good. There are a ton of guys on here with Boss V's even the new VXT. A rock drive way you will have to throw the feet on to bring the blade off the ground, or just keep the blade off the ground a little. Yes wings take a few minutes to do the first install then it is just the matter of pulling pins to remove the wing when you don't want to use them. I would go with a V, if you get alot of snow and the scoop is very nice too. If you had too you can install the wings on the V too. AlaskaBoss ( a member on PS) has a 9'2 V with wings. He is over 10'. LOL. If you read through posts you will find guys that had problems and others that haven't. B&B was telling me last night, that a friend of his has a 1993 Boss plow. He hasn't any problems. Every year he did maintenance, changing the fluid etc. He said that he just replace a piston. I think you get a warranty when you buy a new plow. I think 2 years. Take care of it and it will last. Good luck.