1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss or blizzard..again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Oct 25, 2004.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I know this subjest has been fairly beaten to death,but I still am having a hard time deciding on which plow to go with.I am doing a large commercial lot that will require me to blade carry some of the snow around 500' to the stacking area.I can get a blizzard 810 with the snow deflector,installed for 4575.00 including tax. Or,I can get an 8'2" boss v including timbrens and the backdrag arms,installed for 5380.00 including tax.Needless to say,money is an issue,but so is dependability.If I were out plowing with a v,and something happened to one side of the plow,I would be done,where as at least with the blizzard,if something happens to the wings,you still have the use of the straight blade(hopefully).Then again,boss carries a 2 year warranty,while the blizzard only one year.Our local boss installer has done 500 boss/western installations over the years,while our blizzard dealer has done 2 of the 810 installations.Both the blizzard and boss are around 950lbs.If I buy the blizzard,I will buy and install the timbrens myself,so that would bring the total for the blizzard to around 4850.00...Any suggestions or thoughts will be appreciated!
  2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

go blizzard 810 you wont be sorry.

3. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

$5380 for a Boss 8'2 V ? WOW, I would shop around, I priced a 8'2 POLY V Boss with smartlocks for $4400 installed last month, steel's are selling for $3900. Someone is making some money. Personally I would go with the Blizzard if it were me.
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard 810 carrys twice the snow a v will. This is where they really shine. As far as warranty goes, just the other day I sold a plow to a guy who was concerned that the others had two year warrantys.
    I said Dodge has the better warranty but I see you are driving a chev. He said good point and wrote the cheque.
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I prefer western and fisher for V's over Boss. And if you are considering a 810 why arnt you considering a bigger V like a 9.5 fisher or a 10' boss? I am running at 9.5' fisher V and am happy with it although blizzard definatly has my eye. I dont think I have any lots or have seen any lots were it would be efficent to use a truck to push large amounts of snow staight ahead and stack it. I duno JMO but trucks are usefull windrowing and pushers are good for moving snow. JMO. the V blades and the bizzard are great for cleaning up though and transporting small amounts of snow thought. Once again JMO.

What truck outa curiosity?

that does seem steep even for the timbrens too for the boss.
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the blizzard for the same reason bolts stated, it will carry twice the load of the V plow, and large parking lots are the specialty of the 810.
  7. northernsweeper

The truck is a 1993 k3500 t/diesel.The price for the boss includes 280.00 for the backdrag lock arm upgrades,200.00 for the deflector,160.00 for the timbrens,installation for everything and it includes sales tax.That is why the price is so much,though I agree,it still seems a little steep. I was a little concerned about backdragging with the blizzard,because of the access holes for the hollow body on the back/bottom of the plow(where the wing hoses run).I was worried that the access holes would fill with snow and freeze,creating some real problems.The dealer assured me that this is not a problem.I will have to make a decision today or tommorrow,and will be happy when that part of it is over!! I am sure my wife will be thrilled too.She now knows more about plows than she ever wanted to.Thanks for all your input!
  8. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

From what you have sated as your needs it seems clear that the Blizzard is the more efficient choice. They have my eye for future plow needs as well. That said service is a major concern. Sounds like the Blizzard dealer is new. Are they a totally new operation, just newly carrying Blizzard or what. If they have been around a while and have a good reputation I would go with them. They are going to be your best friend when something breaks at O'dark thirty.
  9. northernsweeper

The guy that mounts and sells the blizzards has an auto repair shop.He said he can get parts but only carries oil now.He said he would deal with problems during regular business hours. On the other hand,the guy that mounts and services the boss plows,is a commercial plower himself.He would be great for service work when he is home,but when I will be out plowing,so will he,so scratch the emergency calls.I will be running two trucks,so if all else fails I still have a plow to use.I really am leaning toward the blizzard.
  10. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

plow decision

i purchased the blizzard 810 in late jan 03 and had it for the 28" storm in feb 03..i pushed a large cvs w/ about 15 inches in less then an hour.. i dont think i could have done that w/ the straight or a v-plow...if you go w/ the 810 you wont be disappointed..you'll wonder how did i ever do without this...be safe..
  11. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Hello I am new to this site I just bought a 810 this year I picked up a Mall contract about 2ac.I don't think I went wrong with the blizzard thanks to all the info that was on this site Thank you. Now I just need snow. I sure like the boss plow for the small sites.
  12. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

And the survey says? ding Blizzard 810 Power Plow !!!

Get WIDE ! Get the job done !

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

jon does blizzard plan on opening more dealers in southern Michigan??
    if i did get a blizzard it would be an hour drive in good weather to get it fixed.
  14. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Where are you located? Providing it breaks. We're here to help.
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, if you have a K3500 (Single or dual?) you should be considering the 9'2" BOSS-V not the 8'2"one.

The V will save your butt in a DEEP snow where straight blades just cant push through it.

I also agree, get a better price for the BOSS.
  16. northernsweeper

I am located near duluth.I looked at the boss 9-2 and also at the fisher and western v's. The biggest deterent there for me....was money.I don't know what the pricing is in other parts of the country,but here both the western and the fisher v's are quite a bit more expensive than the boss. For the 9-2 boss I would have been looking at around 5600.00,with the timbrens,locking backblade cylinders,snow deflector,installation and sales tax.Also,I don't expect to be busting thru many snowbanks,so that benefit of the v was not a real concern.
    I went out today and bought the blizzard 810. With the snow deflector,installation and sales tax it came to 4573.00...The wife can finally have some peace.Thanks for all the input.You guys are all great,and your wealth of knowledge and experience,has and will continue to be of great importance to me.I will let you know what I think,after the snow comes.I hope you all have a GREAT year!
  17. Bolts Indus.

Welcome to the Blizzard family. You have made a great choice and will not regret it.
  18. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Much cheaper Boss plow close to home

A fellow I know just bought a Boss steel V 9' 2" with smartlock for $4400 installed.
    There is a dealer in Wisconsin about 70 miles from Duluth who has been with Boss from the start,he is well known for great prices and first class service.
  19. Bolts Indus.

Did you say " A much cheaper Boss plow''?

Blizzard doesn't sell cheap plows, just good plows at good prices. Sorry, couldn't resist. The devil made me do it.
  20. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I bought a Blizzard 810 to replace the Boss 8 ft straight blade I had been using for 6 years. The Boss never let me down. My other truck has the Boss 9.2 V. Its been a real pain. It doesnt trip when hitting things like manhole covers etc. Also the V plows dont roll the snow to the side very well because of the center hinge. I will be replacing it with a Blizzard also next year.