1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss newb, need help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Plow_king, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

Hey guys, I just bought (new to me) an rt3 8' super duty. Got it all wiring connected to the truck, lights work, plow goes angles left and right. The smart hitch swtich doesn't work at all (doesn't run the motor either) Also when I use the hand held to try to raise/lower. The tower goes up about half an inch and the motor just whines.

I haven't been able to get it mounted on the truck, any quick suggestions.

Thanks!

2. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

I don't know if you've done this or not but, I believe the control has to be in float mode in order for that switch on the tower to work. Put in float, raise with tower switch until locks snap into place, - good to go? good luck & let us know how it goes.

3. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

I did not try that nor did I know that. I will try that when I get home.

Why wouldn't the controller work to raise/lower it?

4. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

If the tower hasn't been raised yet, the locks haven't been engaged yet either. Until the locks are engaged, the plow and truck are not actually hooked up and the controller cannot raise the plow. Hope this helps.

5. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

yes it does. That makes sense. It felt like it was locked. You just made my day! When I get home from work I will report back to let you know. THANK YOU!

I had an older meyer setup and i could lift raise whenever which a touch a button thats why i was confused.

6. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Glad I could help. It sounds like that's what happening. Best of luck!

7. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

Worked like a charm! Thank you. Bring on the snow!

8. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

boss makes life so much simpler once you know how it works

9. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

i totally agree. short of not having a dealer, i don't know why anyone would buy another brand.

10. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

1. a V plow isn't always needed, and they can't take anywhere near the abuse that a straight blade Meyer can.
    2. you ever had to get an 8'2" Boss in the back of a pickup by yourself because the operator destroyed it and left it in a parking lot?
    3. the 13 pin connectors are a pain in the ass, when they get frozen up, just fall off the truck, or have a wire bust inside where you can't get at it. (I'm considering using a 13 pin round, trailer style connector)
    4. the main power wire connection is even worse. I'm always having problems with the plow sourcing it's ground through the push frame/ truck connection, instead of the cable. and more than once, the + connection has brazed itself together (Warn winch quick connectors are way, way better)

sorry about the rant and thread hijack. carry on!:waving::drinkup:

11. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

(1)i don't even understand the phrase- "isn't always needed". (2) if i ever need it, i got it. as far as abuse, i try not to abuse my equipment too much because if i break it, it doesn't make me any money. (3) you must have had a terrible employee. (4) wiring problems are bad no matter what you're dealing with.
    i understand you may have had problems with them before but, my experience with BOSS has been very good. any problems we have had have been simple and easy to fix. good luck

12. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Ihave 3 9-2 Boss V blades no wiring troubles but all 3 I have had to weld wings at the bottom back to centre pin.

13. rocknrollrednec

there's nothing I can't do with a straight blade. a V is nice, but most times, is a bit redundant, I think.
    I'm the mechanic for a shop, where the guys using it, don't own it, and they're union, so they don't really give a sh...hoot. thus, I'm a very busy man. not just one guy, but over a dozen running Boss plows. we have Meyers also, but 9 times out of 10, it's the damn Boss Vs I'm fixing. and when it comes to wiring, I'd rather deal with 3 signal wires, and 2 power cables and one solenoid, than 13 signal wires.
    to the responsible owner/operator, I don't doubt that they're great.

14. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

As with anything... more moving parts/control functions.. the more chance of something going wrong...

But...Pushing snow 400 to 500 feet between storage units,etc,... I used to do it with a straight 9 footer,.... I'll keep my V ...thankyou.

15. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

amen to that! if some like to use straight-blade..... more power to 'em but i would never give up the versatility of the"V" :salute:

16. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

they all have their place and time where they fit, but I'll keep my v cause it looks so cool:gunsfiring:

17. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

Got 8" of snow today, first time pushing with my boss thanks to you guys. Worked like a charm. Gotta go back out soon for another push!

Boss > Meyer

18. rocknrollrednec

okay, I guess I'll admit, that there've been a few times, trying to bash my way through a snow drift, that a V would be nice.
    I just get a bit bitter, cuz I don't really see them get used...I just see, and fix the carnage of when they get abused.
    it's friday!:drinkup: