1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Municipal V 10' vs 9'2" vxt

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by greenearth, Sep 22, 2010.

1. greenearth

greenearth Junior Member

Other than 10"s and 150lbs is there difference in the build quality/strength between these two plows? I want to put the 9'2" vxt on my medium-duty but only if It wont be breaking apart as soon as I his a curb. Thanks.

2. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Build quality is the same on both. The differance is that the 10 footer's hydralics are a little slower due to the fact that the lift and angle cylinders are larger on the 10.

Go with the 10 you'll love it.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The 10' is a heavier built plow for sure but I dont think you'll be disappointed in either one!

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The 10 ft.er is not sold with Smartlock cylinders, nor can you get them. Back dragging might be a bit difficult.

5. greenearth

greenearth Junior Member

Thanks for the info. The installed price on the 9'2vxt($5400)is about $1700 less than the 10' so I may have to purchase the 9.

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

You will not be disappointed with the 9.2.........it can handle a ton of "aggressive" plowing and keeps coming back for more.

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

What type of Medium duty are we talking here? You will want to make sure the 9' 2" clears your wheels sufficiently.

8. greenearth

greenearth Junior Member

Well I did not think to consider the width for clearance i was just worried about the build quality. Thanks for the reminder. Its a gmc6500. rear wheels measure 7'10w.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's not even a choice then, need 10 footer without question. A 9.2 intended for the 3/4-1 ton class is neither wide enough nor designed to be robust enough for a truck of that class.

10. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I just hope you don't have any back dragging plans in your future. Other than that, have fun, post pictures or a vid, and watch out for manholes in Scoop or V.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No too many out there that would take on the type of accounts that require much back dragging intending to do them with a C6500.

SmartLocks have never been available for the 10' because there's never been a demand for them, if you're running one back dragging performance isn't critical. Not that they're required to do so. ;)

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

That would be what logic would dictate, but you'd never know.

13. greenearth

greenearth Junior Member

I usually try not to do to much back dragging but there always seems to be more than I expect. I use the truck mainly for salting our lots which are 2acre and under sites. The truck has a super tight turning radius so I thought this season I would put a plow on it. I will have to ask the dealer if the truck side mount is the same for both sizes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They are not .

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It maybe harder to backdragg with the ten footer but at least you'll have a plow left to do it with. 9"2" is way to light for a C6500, I'd be surprised if BOSS even lists the truck as an applicable fit.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm, must be why they don't, and have nothing but the universal 10 ft mount for a 6500. Keeps guys from mounting a severely under capacity plow on way too much truck when the mood strikes them..

17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Could we define "under capacity" here. Why would a 6500 destroy a 9' 2"?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Weight, momentum, and force. A 9.2 isn't designed to be on a truck of that weight capacity due to the stress's capable of the truck placing on the plow for which it is not designed for. That's what a 10 ft is for.

Like running a sport duty on a fully loaded V-box equipped 1 ton cab & chassis....wrong application thus the plow will suffer.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think I remember seeing a couple of those:cool:

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And if I recall correctly wasn't your most enjoyed install. :D