1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss mount on 06 3500 mega ctd

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 09dieselguy, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

I just picked up a 06 cummins 3500. I'm going to be leveling it and running 315/70/17s. I wanna make sure that the factory boss mounts will be able to drop far enough to drive into my v plow. Plan to go with a 3 inch spring. Ain't complaints here or info before I order springs. What are you guys running

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

You won't like plowing with that big of a tire or a lifted truck. Doubt that the mount will adjust low enough to give you the proper push frame hight. Been there, done that.

3. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

My 2010 2500 Cummins has 2" level and 315-70-17 trail grapplers. No issues with the mount. With the plow mounted, no issues. I also have no traction issues in response to what others say. I agree a smaller more narrow tire is better, but with 500lb ballast, I plow in 2wd up until about 4-5" then I need 4wd.

It also looks/handles better being leveled with the plow on.

4. 09dieselguy

I've plowed with the exact same times on another cummins. Not worried about the tires. Try work awesome for me. Just was curious about the push beam though

5. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

It'll be fine. Let her rip

6. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Back to the top. According to BOSS, the center of the opening on the truck mount where the pins click into is supposed to be 15 1/2" off the ground. With my 2" level and 315s on my 10 2500 cummins mine is 15 3/4". The mount cannot be installed any lower either. It's on the lowest mount position.

My tires are also worn out. So with new tires it may be a little higher.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Is your middle bar parrell to the ears? It can be down one more.

1/4 won't make a difference

8. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

New to plow terms/parts so bare with me lol. The cross beam with the "Boss" sticker mounts to the brackets the go up/back to the frame by the wheel well... The cross beam is mounted on the 2 lowest spots on those brackets.

I may have worded my last post wrong. The 1/4" difference def doesn't bother me. Was just posting those numbers for the OP.

9. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I guess it will be trial and error possibly. Hard to say until you know what the end result is of your changes. I have an 04 3500 SRW - so basically the same as your 06 for front end. I upsized my tires this summer to a 285 70 17, and I did notice a bit of a problem with height when connecting and disconnecting. It is adjusted all the way down. It is a little slow to let go on the disconnect now, and I have to sometimes jack up the plow to make it go into the proper slot on the frame. I didn't have to with the stock tires.

No difference from stock once connected - plows the same.

10. 09dieselguy

well now that i got it all done and have a few pushes with it now i gotta say i love it. i know a few have mentioned ill hate plowing with a mega cab , but it isnt much bigger then me crew cab short box duramax.

how ever being that i am on 315/75/17 tires with a 2.5 leveling kit i am over the height. i have 3 bolts in my push beam, dropped one hole past the bottom. i am at 18.75 inchs to my center hole. i do need to play with my center adjustment on the plow to get the center of the plow to level on the ground when in full scoop its off the ground about 1/4 inch. leaves a nice little trail that i cant stand.

just figured i would post an update for anyone who was interested in leveling their truck out like i have

11. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

I don't mind plowing with my mega either. Size wise it's been fine. I have a 2500 though. Leveled with 315-70-17 and I'm 1/4" above height. Post up pics.

12. 09dieselguy

13. 09dieselguy

im waiting for a few more pics to upload now.

im looking for a stiffer spring though. my truck rides awesome but i want to swap springs out that will stay pretty firm when i hook my plow up. any ideas? looking for progessive coil that will carry alot of the weight when it drops some when lifted. my springs now and to soft and after i take the plow off it sags.