1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss mount on 01 Dodge Ram ???'s

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by doo-man, Dec 30, 2009.

1. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I recently installed my boss mount on my 01 dodge ram 1500 and have a few questions.

1. Height-It is currently measuring at 16.5 and curious what others are I know the manual says 15.5 but will it be ok ?
    2. u-bolt? Calls for a u-bolt on the drivers side but didnt see how to get it to work so I made it work with a single bolt like the passanger side has. How or what did you guys do ??

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your height is fine, the straight blades aren't too picky as long as it's kept within reason.

Those U-bolts can be a real pain. The single bolt approach that you used works fine too as I've done it before myself.

3. timberjack

timberjack Member

B&B, how about the v-plows?

Mine was similar to doo-man's measurements. I installed the mount at the lowest setting, and measured 16-1/4". The first snow fall, i went to mount up, and it was slightly downhill from the truck, plus having the truck up on some snow prevented the lift tower from coming high enough to lock the pins in place. I had to keep pushing it forward until it built up a little snow, rode up, and then would finally lock in. I've since started to park the plow on a slightly uphill spot.

I also find mine trips pretty easy too, well easy enough in "V" and straight, and sometimes in scoop if i lift it at the right point while stacking a pile. On the other hand, it doesn't snap back up into place jarringly as i'd been led to expect either. I'm not real happy with how it's clearing snow either. Though i will admit our last storm was probably among the worst of conditions for any plow to tackle, 14" of wet snow, that then froze, making for an undulating surface from what packed snow was already underneath. I had to break out a grader to put a smooth finish back on the road today.

Been wondering if that extra height and leverage is what's caused my problem hooking up, the easy "tripping", and the lower effectiveness of clean snow clearing if the blade is at the wrong approach angle? Would you think getting the push plate to that 15-1/2" height point will make that big a difference?

Thanks if you have any input.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any time the truck height changes drastically (setting on top the snow for example) and your mount is already a little high you're going to discover that. Just hit it a little harder and the pins will ride over the hooks and you're good to go.

Guys are so critical of the "published" mount height and it doesn't mean squat as it's just the general starting point as you're installing the mount. As long as the wings lay flat on the ground in all positions and the plow mounts and dismounts easily, thats all that's critical. Doesn't matter if the mount needs to be at 2" or 20" as long as it lies flat when actually using it and it attaches/detaches correctly.

I'll agree that the last round of plowing conditions weren't the greatest as I plowed a little of that same stuff myself so I'm sure most guys noticed that their lots turned out a little differently as far as finish goes.

As I mentioned already the wings need to lye flat, if they do then your height is fine. But I would however suggest giving your trip springs a few turns as it sounds like they're set too loose. Doing so will not only address the excess tripping action but also assist while attaching. And those are the two main issues you mentioned.

The plow should practically attach itself.

5. timberjack

timberjack Member

Thanks for the feedback B&B. I'll tighten up the trip springs a bit more and see how that works out on the next snowfall.

The wings do lie flat, so i won't worry about the mount height.

thanks again.