1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss motor keeps running help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by aladdinta, Jan 15, 2009.

1. aladdinta

aladdinta Junior Member

I have a 7'6" RT3 straight blade with smarthitch, the when angling left and right to the limit and let off the joystick the motor keeps running, not every time, this morning I raised the plow and it also stuck(very cold this morning). In order to stop it I have to unplug the power cable at the front of the truck. On the angle problem if you wiggle the stick it will shut off. I have checked the solonoid for the motor and the control circuit is functioning properly. It seems as if one of the control valves are hanging up and backfeeding the motor. The joystick is new, the solonoid id good and I just replaced all the fluid. Any help woud be great. The plow is about 6 years old.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The "control valves" can not cause the motor to run on...you either have a controller issues (yes a new one can be defective) or the under hood solenoid is bad. No other possible causes.

3. aladdinta

aladdinta Junior Member

Thank you, I changed the under the hood solenoid last night and it seem to fix the problem, The old one was installed new the fall. Man B&B you are all over this stuff, its nice to know there is help out there I have been on the western site as well. If bought a used unimount mvp and was asking questions you answered them as well. I have the plow fixed but still need all the truck side stuff, still cant decide if I want to put it on my F250 or find another truck.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear the new UHS fixed it up. :waving:

And thats what we're all here for (well, most of us anyway)...to help those who ask for it and can show it in a well descriptive and detailed way. :waving:

5. aladdinta

aladdinta Junior Member

B&B I will get back to the western site but whats your opinion on the truck, I have a F250 quad cab with a powerstroke. Western doesnt recommend installing the 8'6" V on this truck but I have heard it will work. This truck is a 2001 model but we use it to haul cars to auctions and such and dont want to tear it up. I am thinking of looking for a 98-2000 single cab 3/4 or 1 ton with a gas engine. I havent bought any of the truck side stuff yet. Also I assume the wiring harness is truck specific, I have been looking for a deal on the stuff, but assume until I decide what truck I am going to use it will be kind of hard to buy. I guess I can get the hand held control if I find one but should hold off on everything else until I pick a truck.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will be over on the GAWR...but I wouldn't be afraid to run it on your current truck. Plenty of guys do. But you didn't hear that from me. ;)

The only thing wiring related thats specific to the truck is the headlight plug in harness, everything else is generic...so you could "purchase as you go" for the control and battery wiring and then buy the mount and plug in harness last, in case you change your truck decision at the last minute.

7. aladdinta

aladdinta Junior Member

If I look for a new truck what should the front axle be rated at? Will any 3/4 ton tuck with as engine work?

8. aladdinta

aladdinta Junior Member

If I see a guy that has a control harness for a chevy on ebay I can buy it correct? even if its a straight blade I have heard tht the straight and v have the same harness.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The higher the better in order to have a better shot at keeping it within specs...just depends on what brand and years your looking at as to what the FAWR ranges may be. Generally anything 4800 lbs or more will keep you under the max GAWR with the 8.5 MVP

The control harness isn't specific to the truck, but it is specific to the plow. It must be for a vee. And also for a relay style system as thats likely what your Uni MVP is originally set up for...