1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DELBERT, Nov 9, 2005.

1. DELBERT

DELBERT Member

my plow lights dont come on the parking lights and blinkers work but cant the plow lights on my truck head lights work ??? plow works fine

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is a separate switch for them, mine says Arrow on it . it is usually mounted at the bottom of the dash some where. and cheek the fuse.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You forget about that little switch in the begaining of the year.

4. DELBERT

DELBERT Member

I got the little switch it dont do anything

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You may have to get out the test light.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

My switch came un-hooked, look in your fuse panel, you'll see a spot where it goes.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

OK, I have searched this topic all the way back to the 33rd page. I did not realize so many people had problems with lights on their Boss.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
    360 V8 5.9L

Boss plow is 97/98 RT3 SH.

No lights on truck or plow.
    Parking and turn signals work fine as do fog lights.

11 Pin harness
    I have 6 wire switch plow/truck.

I assume since I have the 6 wire switch I have no relays for headlights.

Lights have worked fine for 10 years now no problem whatsoever.

Now the only way I have lights is if I drive holding the bright/low beam switch on turn signal on keeping both low/high beams on.

Have checked all grounds.
    Disconnected and reconnected headlight connectors.
    replaced fuses under hood they were good but replaced them anyway.
    loosened and re-tightened under hood grounds.
    replaced plow/truck light switch.

Still have no headlights on truck or plow. Even if I disconnect the plow the truck has no head lights unless I hold the switch.

Before I replace the headlight switch itself does anyone have any ideas?
    This has been a on gong problem for about a month now and would really like to get it fixed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you disconnect the plow harness and reconnect the stock head light wiring into the truck headlights? Do the truck lights work then?

If not, then its a truck problem, not a plow harness problem.

The headlight switches go bad on the Dodge's quite often. Easy to replace though.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes I did the switch to truck side connectors only.
    Still did not work.

Bought a switch at NAPA. $30.oo

Now they work but......

Both sides work on the truck now. High/Low beam.

Only have high beams(brights) on plow now.

I did not check but wonder if I blew out the low beam filament when I was riding holding the switch up engaging both h/L beams at once.

Thanks B&B for replying. I noticed when reading threads either some do not get responded to or there is never a last post on the fix or if what worked.

I just replaced this switch for other reasons last year. I got a Dodge dealer switch at the time ($75) and could not tell if it had been replaced before.

You're right as far as being easy to replace but are they made to go bad or is it something in the Dodge wiring maybe causing the switch to go bad?

At least I have lights now without holding the turn signal lever up at all times.

Thanks again.

10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

This may sound silly but it worked for me.

The 4 relays in the wiring harness on the truck side control the lights going from truck to plow function and plow to truck function.

Mine seem to be finite with moisture but the cure was simple, I just gave it a whack,the vibration caused the relay to open or close the circuit and I had lights. I have done it 5 or 6 times this year and a little thump and off I go

I start the truck, wait till I am sure I don't have the lights working properly and the open the hood of the truck and smack the relays and that''s it, LIGHTS

Good Luck:salute:

if it doesn't work I would look at the relays, you have 4 (i think)

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The truck relays I have, I have done this. If you are talking about the ones under the hood in the fuse box next to the battery.

I even switched the relays around as they are all the same. Since I know my ABS was working I switched that relay with the headlight one.

Had same problem.
    At the point I was at the other day had I tried to whack em I would have destroyed it.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Reaper, the relays I believe Indyplower is referring to is the 4 light and control power relays in the plow harness, which yours doesn't have since it's the older style "non relay" harness with the 6 pin headlight switch.

If you dont find any blown filaments on the low beam plow lights the next step of course would be checking the pin at the rear of the plow light switch to see if the lows are getting through the switch and coming back out. Check the solid green wire for 12V with the plow lights on low beam. This is the low beam output wire out if the switch sending power to the low beam plow lights. If you have 12V there, then the problem is future down the line. Possibly a broken wire somewhere in the harness.

13. CrivitzConst

CrivitzConst Junior Member

Reaper,

Did you ever find the problem with your lights. Mine are doing the same exact thing.
    I have a Boss V plow on a 04 2500HD Chevy.