1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss light upgrade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gpshemi, Feb 3, 2011.

1. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Looking for a cheap upgrade to my lights. My plow is a RT3 / 2007 vintage.
    Pics can be found here. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=113087&page=3

Are there any better light set ups for these? They're not SmartLight2's are they?
    They suck unless they're on high. Then they're just fair.

I see some generics on eBay, but they're a little pricey in my book.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HALOGEN-SNOW-PLOW-LIGHT-SET-HINIKER-WESTERN-MEYER-BOSS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35acfec0f9QQitemZ230535643385QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Do the HID upgrade. I got mine on ebay a couple years ago. I believe the low beams are 9006. Well worth the money. Do a search, I think it's AlaskaBoss that has a "how to" write up.

3. nonsense

nonsense Junior Member

I just did the HID upgrade, bought mine from ddm tuning. Just google them, I went with the raptor setup and worked great, some guys get the low pro ballast I like the bigger ones keeps everything tight in the lights. I ordered the 9005 & 9006 bulbs and come to find out through ddm those are the same lights. They work great, best money i ever spent for lighting at least. The outside of the lens should have the number of the bulb on it, at least mine did. If you have questions let me know i can help. It only took me an hour to do.

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I just did mine about a month ago, I ordered my kit from ddm tuning, I got the slim balast @35+ shipping=$46
    Well worth the money, dims are 9006 and brights are 9005 bulb.
    I ordered the 6000 color temp and 35 watt balast. Gonna order 3 more kits this weekend plus 2 of the led flood lights.

Note: if you haven't had the trim rings and lenses off lately, use a heat gun to SLIGHTLY heat up the plastic to remove the 4 bezel screws, replace with stainless and ff screws before install. Good luck

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I am thinking about installing a HID kit aswell. I just replaced the plowside harness and broke 4 screws trying to get the bezels off yesterday. 2 on each. Tried getting the screws out and thats not happening. Now I need new head light housings and bezels. UGHHH! Cameo did you ever get those strobes up and running?

6. DaySpring Services

Next time you take the screws out throw a little grease on them, it will keep them from seizing.

7. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

I'm confused. HID for $35? Got a link?

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah I think I am going too. Not going to worry about it now though. Winter is almost over.

9. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

bite your tongue mister! Lol.

10. DaySpring Services

Check out ebay, there's tons of kits there. As for this winter...it ain't over yet. They're forecasting another storm for us next week. I'm ready for spring!

11. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Yes...but the one I find on eBay for HID Boss Plow is $125. Not $35...

Again...anyone got a link?

ON EDIT: I see HID kits for $35. I assume there's wire cutting involved then yes? Not a huge deal I suppose. A $35 kit would be for low beams then only. So either two kits...or I need a dual kit it appears. Sorry...little new to this technology. Maybe I should get a kit for the truck eh?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

You will need 2 kits per light. You can see how alaskaboss did it here.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=77591&highlight=boss+HID+upgrade+kit

13. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Sweet thanks! I didn't see that before.

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

15. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

So the slim balast are not shown but when I bought them they were $35 for BOTH low beam lights, you would have to order a second kit to do high beams and the 55 watt kit is $10 more.
    There was NO wire cutting! Plug and play kit.

16. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

they're going to put the slim ones back on there as soon as they have a date when they'll be back from china, i mean, in stock. Im not sure what the other guy was talking about buying 2 sets for low beams. they're sold in pairs. and i think its unnecessary to get highs and lows.

17. nonsense

nonsense Junior Member

yes the Raptor kit does fit. I changed both my highs and lows, so I have two ballasts in each light, it fit just fine. Don't get me wrong it's snug but keeps from moving around. The raptors are plug and play as well. I went with the 35w 8000k kit for both and like them so far. Biggest pain was the three screws i broke on the drivers side and the two on the passenger side. I just heated them as has been mentioned and was able to turn them out, it took quite a bit of heat before they would break free. It's hard to belive you can pick up HID's for 35 bucks a pair when I just paid 50 bucks a pair on the Siver Star ultra's! I was lucky didn't have any DOA's and have not had the flicker problem some have had.

18. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

I was reading and wondered if the Fords see more of the flickering than Chevy or Dodge guys do. Hard to tell.

19. nonsense

nonsense Junior Member

I'm running an 04 Ford I do have the powerstroke so I do have the dual battery set up.

20. DaySpring Services

I hard a lot of trouble with my Dodge, I finally got it straightened out though. I first tried the anti-flicker capacitors but still had trouble. I then added a relay harness and it fixed the problem.