1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss light switch

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sailorman3, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

I just had a new Boss plow installed on my 09 Ford F250. I have upfitter switches on the truck that were installed in the factory. I wanted the dealer to use one of these switches for my plow lights rather than the switch that they normally install. They said it couldn't be done. Does anyone have their lights hooked up to the upfitter switches in the Ford trucks?Thanks in advance.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say they claimed it couldn't be done because they didn't want to bother digging the upfitter wires out, or they didn't know where they were.

Choose the switch you wish to use, disconnect the two black wires from the plow/truck lamp switch and using a test light see which of the two black wires DOESN'T have battery voltage with the ignition on. This is the one you want to connect to your chosen upfitter switch. The four upfitter wires are taped in the harness near a relay pack to the left of the steering column. They're easy to find once you remove the lower column hush panel. Wire colors should be:

Switch 1- yellow
    Switch 2- green/brown
    Switch 3- purple/green
    Switch 4- brown

3. I would not use the upfitter. You may want to use them for something else. I would hide the boss switch under the steering column on the side of your dash panel.

4. Buck331

Buck331 Member

Ford Super Duty Upfitter Switches for Truck/Plow Toggle Switch on BOSS Plow

QUESTION: Can I use the existing Upfitter Switches that came on my 08 Ford Super Duty, instead of the Truck/Plow toggle switch that comes with my BOSS plow?
    SOLUTION: Yes you can. Follow the instructions below:
    1)Install the BOSS wire harness as instructed, and tap into a proper keyed ignition source.
    2)Turn on the ignition.
    3)Using a test light, test both black wires that come from the BOSS wire harness and go to the Truck/Plow toggle switch that is supplied by BOSS.
    4)Which ever wire is HOT tape it off and tuck it out of the way.
    5)Cut off the spade connector on the other black wire and connect this to one of the auxiliary blunt cut wires that are shown in figure 1.
    Description

http://www.bossplow.com/content/servicecenter/documents/faq12.pdf

Ford Super Duty