1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss light issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mhagen49, Nov 27, 2011.

1. mhagen49

mhagen49 Junior Member

Work on a friends boss straight blade when I switch to plow lights the low beams on both truck and plow are on and eventually will blow fuse for right headlight. I know nothing about boss I'm a western guy. Any help will be greatly apperciated. The highbeams work like they should

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fresh install? Vehicle year, make and model? 11 or 13 pin plow harness?

It all makes a difference.

3. mhagen49

mhagen49 Junior Member

Not a fresh install been in truck for few years. It's a 2005 gmc 2500 duramax diesel. Not sure if it's 11 or 13 pin. What can tell you is that it's set up for v plow. He sold the v with plans of getting a wideout but didn't have all the funds for that so he bought a straight blade. I have checked the wires behind the right headlight thinking that had somethin to do with it and replaced one socket that was bad but didn't solve the issue

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since the truck is an 05 it's likely you're working with a 13 pin system. Easy way to know is look for the relay bank in the plow harness. If it has one then it's a 13 pin. The old 11 pins used no relays. And also count the pins in the plow side plug.

Then start with checking the headlamp adapter plugs to be sure they're all connected on the "A" side of the plugs. Sometimes guys have them apart for one reason or another and don't realize they're orientation specific.

Then check the relays and relay sockets for corrosion closely. Take the time and actually remove and inspect each one and it's respective socket. Corrosion there can cause all kinds of issues.

If it all checks out ok turn the low beams on with the plow disconnected but the plow/truck switch in the plow position and see if it still blows the fuse after a while. If it doesn't then the issue is likely actually on the "new" plow and will need furter diagnosis.

5. mhagen49

mhagen49 Junior Member

Thanks for the info I will let you what I find out.