1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss lifetime?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by greyham_g, Oct 16, 2011.

1. greyham_g

greyham_g Junior Member
    from canada

I'm just wondering how long the average boss straight blade lasts, given routine maintenance and average residential use? Possibly compared to a Hiniker?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It will last a lifetime!

3. greyham_g

greyham_g Junior Member
    from canada

Okay, any specific parts that may need replacing before a lifetime rolls around? And what about rust, are they powder coated? stainless?

thanks.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Part replacement depends on how you plow. All plows will get some rust,just depends on what your plowing. Powder coated Boss plows.If your buying new can you afford the million dollars they charge in Canada?;)

5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

most guys that have run a Boss, won't change, they are very solid plows.

GrandView is right, it depends on how you plow and treat stuff, but even then Boss is pretty durable, easy to service.

I am buying my second one now and the guys I plow with want mine because it is faster and goes on easier and faster that what they run.

And to treat for rust, get some Fluid Film and spray it down and you are good to go for quite a while.

Good luck:salute:

6. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

I believe they are both excelent plows and will last 10 - 15 years even longer with good maintenance and proper plowing. I have 1 Hiniker 8'6" V Plow My father has 15, 7 of them are 8 plus years old and they are going strong with minimal maintenance needing to be performed under normal operating conditions. He had on driver bend the frame of a truck the plow was fine that says something. I personal think the Hiniker is the best built Plow around. 9" trip edge on their V Plows with compression springs, Polly mull boards, Wing stops, stand behind a Hiniker V plow and look at the fit and finish. The marvel at the construction of the back side of the plow, Yep their a dead SEXY plow.

Just Sayn.

They work well for us. The trucks may break but the plows are ready to go.

7. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

i know of multiple Boss blades that are 7+ years old, plowed 100hrs a season at least probably way more. that still have 100% original parts. even hoses and solenoids.

we did have 1 motor go out a few years ago on 1, kinda of a freak thing

my unimounts - 5 pumps and 3 motors last year. lost track of hoses and solenoids.

switching to 100% boss except for Central Hydro

8. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I've had my 7'6" straight blade Boss plow for 10 years. It has been used only on my own driveway. I have had zero problems with this plow, and I have moved it to 3 different trucks. It still has the original hoses and hydraulic fluid.

9. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

One of my vees gets over 2k miles of plow time on it a year. Its 3 years old and still no issues. We've also made 1" cutting edges for it so it will last a whole season. I have 4 boss plows.....only ones I would ever own!

10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

mines a '01 and personal use but no issues since new! other then my own screw ups.

11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

The usual parts that are susceptible to failure, such as the hoses, rams and wires. I agree with most though, that Boss does build a plow that is superior in quality and more structurally sound than other plows out there. I will say though, that making the extra effort to go and hose down the plow (even if its at your local self-serve carwash) after each storm, goes a LONG way towards preventative plow maintenance!

12. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I swear by my boss snow plow it is now 12 seasons old and i have replaced an A frame (my fault) a set of plow lites and a new end. Other than that I use it very heavily I plow all large commercial it is a poly v plow i have seen metal plows and i would have to say buy poly mine has out lasted other metal plows.

13. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I just sold my RT-2 Boss that I purchased new in 92-93 I think. It went with the '98 chevy truck and the snowman rear plow to Minnesota. I had a very rugged route for Illinois conditions(nothing, I'm sure to you Alaska men), but I would take it to the car wash after EVERY storm and wash it and shoot a coat of liquid hot wax on it. It showed som rust, but I only replaced 1 selonoid on it the entire time I owned it. General wear of hoses, couple of springs and cutting edges. Can't wait for the new VXT to arrive this week. MUD

14. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we just had a conventional chain lift boss come into the shop today needed a new coil on one of the valves. otherwise in great working shape. my boss guessed they installing it in the late 80s. i want to get a pic tomorrow.

15. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

I had a giant wasp nest in my plow when i pulled it out from behind the barn last week. Does that count? I would have prefered to replace the motor.