1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS leaking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by eliteasphalt, Nov 30, 2009.

1. eliteasphalt

eliteasphalt Junior Member
    from buffalo

I just put my plow on and its going to snow overnight it is a boss 8'2 V the drivers side angle cylinder is leaking pretty good it just started and have no idea what caused it. its where the chrome enters the cylinder i have herd some things about tightening the gland nut how do i do that? they are not pitted or anything i understand i will prob need new seals but i wont be able to get those until tomorrow. Thank you for any help i might be able to get

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't have the correct wrench for the gland nut you'll do more harm than good attempting to change the seals or to tighten it but in a pinch you can at least be sure it's tight with a large pipe wrench. If you find it's still tight then the seals are out.

Best bet may be to simply replace the cylinder.

3. eliteasphalt

eliteasphalt Junior Member
    from buffalo

I was able to get a new cylinder and replaced it i will see about rebuilding the old one and having a spare. Thank You

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Certainly nice to have a spare. If you don't feel comfortable with doing the rebuild yourself most any hydraulic shop will do them for a reasonable labor cost if you provide the seal kit.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does the wrench advice apply the hex gland nuts on my old Speedcast rams?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you have to be careful as the pressure of the pipe wrench squeezing the nut can fracture it. Not an issue if they're not too tight but you know how that goes on an older plow.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If all the rams including my XV are the same size, I'll grab a cheap wrench. On of the old rams gland nut is already cracked, so nothing to lose there. I've had FF on them for months.