1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by smoothbore2004, Jan 26, 2008.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys got a 8' straight blade couple years ago and noticed last year and now this year I am getting fluid leaking from the pump area onto the frame. I took off the cover and it was coming from the vent cap on top of the reservor. I also have dead spots in the up position, meaning sometimes I hit the up button and I can hear the motor running but no action from the plow. The dealer suggested I might have corrosion on the contacts but if that was the case then I wouldnt have any sound from the motor right. well I cleaned the contacts anyway and it still does it. Not alot but sometimes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys
    George

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It all boils down to maintenance.
    Do you drain and clean your filter every year?

Leaking fluid out of the vent is from an over fill situation not really a big deal at all just a mess.

If you did not drain your syestem this year you may want to do that also.
    Fallow the normal procedures and drain your rams too.
    Refill with Boss fluid.

Clean your electrical connections and take a look at your weiring for your valves.
    Just because the motor is running doesn't mean the valves are working correctly.

A little maintenance in Sept is worth the time and money.

3. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

maintence

Yes I did drain the fluid this past fall, and filled it to the spects the book says. How do I check the valves though? Not sure how to do that. Thanks for the help.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The motor will run whether the valves receive the power from the controller or not..

More than likely you just have a loose/corroded wire connection somewhere. Like SF said, go over EVERY wire connection.. these include not only the pins in the bumper connector (which is usually the problem) but also pull the spade connectors off at each valve/coil assembly and give them a good cleaning and a fresh coat of electrical grease. Make sure you do the ground leads (brown wires) on each one also.

Check the pins in the connector under the dash where the controller plug in also..

FYI, the valve/coil assembly with the white wires is you lift valve, so you'll want to pay extra special attention to it.

As a last resort it may be a failing lift switch in the controller.

5. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

maintence

Thanks B&B the part about the bad up button might be the problem, I forgot to mention that when I press the up button and it starts to do it I will press side to side a little bit and it seems to take off. I hope it is not the problem because I just got out of warrenty. Anyway thanks for the help.

6. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Leak

In the upper left corner is the valve body, Probably a red box. Check the upper Valve on the right side. Wipe off the box real good and then check. It sounds like the upper valve is leaking and it makes it look like the cap is over full because it leaks down the side and right on to the cap. Replace the O ring that seals the valve. This is a common problem. Takes about 20 minutes. Make sure when you put the valve back in and tighten it not to over tighten. Take it in till its tight then about 10 to 15 lbs of torque

7. CRC electrical cleaner is your friend

I took all of my little wires off everything under the box and only broke one.

clean spade and sleeves, coat with dialectric grease

spray with FF

8. D&R Plowing

D&R Plowing Member

Don't feel bad Smoothbore. You have a leak after having it a couple of years. I just purchased a new truck last Friday with a new Boss, 8 foot super duty straight plow and I noticed some fluid on the garage floor today. The left hydraulic angle cylinder is leaking. I haven't even use it yet. So back too to the dealer first thing in the morning.

I guess it was better to find it now then have it let loose during a storm.

I hope this isn't an indication of the quality of the Boss plows.

9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well if its at the fitting, I would say place the blame on whomever put it together at the dealer.

10. D&R Plowing

D&R Plowing Member

I just returned from the Boss Dealer and it was the seal leaking. Factory defect so the hydraulic angle cylinder was replaced, rather then rebuilding it. So all is well and still waiting for some snow

11. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

leak

Hey guys was doing all the things you suggested and hope it works. As for the leak it is only coming from the vent cap on top. I checked the fluid and sure enough it needed some. Its not coming from anywhere else. But let me ask you this if I am plowing and I hit a curb or rock and the plow gets forced to one side or another will this cause it to act like a pressure relief valve? I have had that happen a few times and was wondering if this is the reason it comes from the vent cap on top. Just a thought.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's shouldn't leak from the vent no matter what...but:

If it's a little too full and you hit something hard and it opens one of the relief valves for the angle cylinders, as the fluid is being exhausted back to the reservoir it can force it into he reservoir with enough force to push a little fluid out of the vent. But will usually only happen with a hard enough hit and if its a bit over full.

The only other contributer can be if the return tube is off inside the reservoir.

But 99% of the time that they push fluid out the vent, it's due to being overfull.