1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss LDR 16 vs Avalanche LDAT 500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greggara, Sep 17, 2014.

1. greggara

greggara Junior Member
    from NH

Haven't seen either in person. Just sold Protech IST due to issues cleaning uneven parking lot. Looking for floating hitch and shoes while not breaking the bank. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. greggara

greggara Junior Member
    from NH

I just realized the BOSS LDR 16 model is new for this year. Am I at least comparing apples to apples here?

3. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I don't have any experience with the avalanche, but I do have a couple of boss bx12's and several Arctic LD"s and HD's. In my opinion for performance with scraping and doing minimal damage to objects in the lot the arctic can not be beat. But for cost and durability the boss is the winner there. I have 3 seasons on mine and the skid shoes and cutting edges still look brand new, the only maintenance I ever had to do was pump a little grease into the slip hitch to keep it moving smoothly. The Arctic's on the other hand I feel like I am constantly replacing blocks on them.

4. greggara

greggara Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the reply. Thinking I might give the Boss a shot.

5. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I also just called about the Boss 16. I have a 12 ft boss and love it and it dont hurt the bank. Greggara what are you going to push yours with.

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Chappell Tractor has the new Metal Pless LiveBoxx in stock. May be worthwhile to check them out.

7. PALS Landscapin

Whats the price of the Metal Pless I know there expensive.

8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

A 16 foot LiveBoxx at Chappell Tractor sells for $13,200.00. The OP said he just sold his IST because it does clean uneven pavement well enough.
    The Boss LDR model will improve slightly the issues that he had with the IST because the wings will float and follow the surface. With the Metal Pless LiveBoxx with its wings that have self levelling skid shoes, then add the lateral floating of the blade and slip hitch along with the individual 2 foot cutting edges that float up and down and you have solved the OP’s issue.
    Yes the Metal Pless is way more expensive, but you are getting the best clean in one pass. Saving you time and saving you salt, now whats that worth.

9. PALS Landscapin

Whats that worth that pusher is double of a Boss. My 12ft works great and for double the price I will stick with a boss. I seen video's of the Liveboxx and correct me if im wrong but they don't scrap to bare blacktop either. To me its worth saving $8000 and doing and extra scrap but thats my opinion.

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats fine, the Boss and LiveBoxx are two very different plows. As for getting it down to bare pavement, hands down you will come away a winner with the LiveBoxx everytime. I will post two videos, and tell you dont see bare pavement most of the time.
    http://youtu.be/jeT0FCu67ow
    http://youtu.be/Pu0AQjHWYYQ?t=1m25s

11. PALS Landscapin

Ok im not gonna start a pissing match with you. What happened in the video of the Liveboxx stacking snow. I assume that lot was plowed with the same box. Just saying I have no problem spending money on equipment but when the price range is that much more I do. I love the Kage box pushers to but after last year I seen them first hand and wasn't impressed at all. I have to say my small 244j with a Blizzard 8611pp plow made that Kage look pretty bad. But like I said I like the MetalPless but just dont think they are worth the money.

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I appreciate your comments, and I hope maybe sometime to be able to get you a Liveboxx to demo for a few storms no strings attached. I think this is the video you are referring to and yes the lot was plowed with the LiveBoxx, keep in mind its a gravel lot. http://youtu.be/LfmIXvaNv4E

13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Paul, you have a PM incoming.

14. greggara

greggara Junior Member
    from NH

Komatsu 450.

15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You sure will have enough machine! I'd be scared to put that box on a machine that big

16. PALS Landscapin

Just bought two of the Boss 16ft pushers and a 10 ft Boss. Gonna push the 16ft with a Cat loader and the 10ft with either my 333 deere skid steer or my 244j Deere.

17. greggara

greggara Junior Member
    from NH

I felt the same way so I called Boss and they told me to watch the video.They have a CAT 966 pushing the 16 which is approx. the same weight as the Komatsu 450.

I had an Avalanche 18 ldat 500 paid for in full on order but to make a long story short cancelled that and purchased the Boss locally. Should have it delivered next week.

Per Avalanches and Boss's website, the 16 Boss weighs more than the 18 Avalanche. Im fairly confident that the boss will hold up from the reviews online. Only time will tell and I will be sure to report after the first substantial snowfall.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  18. greggara

greggara Junior Member
    from NH

What size Cat?

19. PALS Landscapin

924k or 544j im pushing the 16's with.

20. dwmaster

dwmaster Junior Member

I assume you have had a chance to use the LDR? What do you think? I have a 14LDR on my 444J and used it today for about 10 hours, I don't think I could be happier. I did have to lock the axles up a few times to make the push but never had to back up. Lol. I would of liked to buy a 12LDR as that is plenty for a 444J pushing this wind blown North Dakota snow but of coarse there isn't one.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014