1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss is screwing me out of my hours

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Long story short,,

Instead of getting paid a couple bucks every couple weeks, and I don't live on plow money I decided to wait till I was done with the season,,

They sent back my time sheet and had corrections on it all in military time,,screwing me out of 17 to twenty hours,,,

So they sent me 80 hours worth and that's it,, in the mean time,, they text saying there's a late storm coming in am I willing to plow for them they lost a lot of operators and they would appreciate it,,
    I texted back that I'm available but don't like working for people who call me a liar,,
    The owner wants me to come in for a meeting ,,

I'm kind of against the meeting,,because it's more of my gas and time and I have a wicked temper and don't want to post bail,,,

Call it a loss and plan my revenge is where I am at,, any of you good bosses have a better route to go,, all I see is red right now,,

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You need to calm down and do not go to the meeting with an atitude. You should have a record of all hours worked. Take that and compair it to what they say your hours should be. It may just be an honest mistake on their part so give them the benefit of the doubt. But I doubt your records are correct if you don't know exactly how many hours you are shorted. (17-20)

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

X2.....

Do you blow up and loose your temper whenever someone disagrees with you? Relax its business...... go to the meeting , get paid, move on to your summer work...... If you think they've screwed you out of hours, don't work for them next year...simple...

Good Luck!

4. Rainer

Rainer Member

If you don't need the hours on the upcoming storm, tell them you'll work if they pay you for the hours you believe you were shorted beforehand. Once you have that money, it's up to you if it's worth the risk of them not paying you for the upcoming storm.

Did you ask them why they lost so many operators? Maybe you're not the only one they've screwed out of hours.

5. IPLOWSNO

Yea I stopped down there he wasn't there ,,

She wanted to schedule a meeting to resolve it,, I told her to send a check that would resolve it,,

As I'm pulling out she says he will be here in ten minutes, I had to look at paying work and left,,

I got the other work I went to look at so I guess that's good,,

Yea I calmed down and figured if I come across him in public ill address it then, not on his property,,

In the meantime anyone want to bid his properties,, I can supply you with day's it snowed amounts hours it took and what equipment is needed,,

That will fix his ass lo

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Like others said, you do need to calm down. And even if your "calmed down" now, just your overall attitude is nuts, saying things like "if I come across him in public" and "don't want to post bail", etc.. What are you going to do, punch him? And then offering to provide competition with the amount of storms, and equipment used?? Any professional contractor in that market would ALREADY have all of that information, and would not even care what kind of equipment he was using. Completely unprofessional, and with that type of attitude, I'm not sure anyone, let alone him, could take you seriously.

I'm really not trying to bash you here, so don't take it wrong. I just need to call it how I see it, since you asked for our opinions and all.

Often times, there is a perfectly reasonable excuse for such an issue. It can range from you providing illegible handwriting leading to a clerical error in the office, or the payroll service company screwing up (it happens now and then), or a misunderstanding of pay periods and what is paid when (I deal with that all the time), or of course like you expect it could be that the boss is just screwing you. But I would be surprised if someone would bother saving a small amount of money like that, in trade for having to deal with complaining employees while also damaging their loyalty - that goes for your loyalty and the word you spread to the others that work for him. Just not worth it for any owner.

Just set up a professional meeting, explain your position, be patient and professional, and carry yourself as an adult. If he really screws you, and all other options are exhausted, just move on and don't plan on working for him again.

Being an employer, I would never recommend anyone going to the state with a complaint. Theres no need to get the government involved in anything that they don't need to be as far as I see it.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would have to agree with what everyone has said . calm down and just set up a meeting and just be done with it. being in business you have to take the good with the bad sometimes and some times you just get burned but you learn from your mistakes and move one. I had a problem with a contractor I was working for I got mad but I cooled down sent them a letter explaining the problem the same way they sent it to me in the mail and certified and just set a date that I was expecting payment and if it was not met legal action would be taken but mine was different than your situation. in the end they saw they where wrong and paid and I never did any more work for them.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

If I'm following this, it sounds like you stopped in unannounced and maybe got loud w/ the secretary or his wife, causing enough concern for her to call him back in just to meet w/ you, which he was willing to do & wanted to do...to address your issue.

For some reason, you were suddenly too busy & had an emergency appointment & couldn't wait another 10 minutes to tell him in person, or even call him for that matter?

What is causing the passive-aggressive disposition & why does it seem that you really have no intention of ever meeting with him face to face to resolve the issue that you claim?

9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This........

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Iplowsno: I am going to side with you on this. You can tell them to meet you on your turf instead of you going to their turf. After all, they requested the meeting. Tell them to bring the money they owe you. Ask them why they lost several employees.

I would agree with the others ... Don't lose your cool

Good luck and I hope it all works out in your favor ... I have been in your position before.

11. IPLOWSNO

Yea,, exactly what happened,, they've wasted a lot of my time this year,,

I did have a meeting to get too, I'm 45 miles away,, I would never waste my gas to go get something I'm owed,,

If it wasn't nice enough to take my bike I wouldn't of even stopped,,

My time is worth money,, more than I'm paid to plow the reason I plowed was its a lot easier than being a carpenter in the winter,, it isn't I found out.

Remember I'm risking not only my life but also my vehicle to get paid ****,and ride in a loader with no radio or working wipers, my old one was real nice,, they must use that to suck you in because I've drove several loaders and they got worse and worse all along ,,
    I leave my house pushing snow just to go to a lot to wait for it to get there and then it's only inches,, I plow more snow at home than most guys do ever lol.

Don't say I padded my hours then have 3 people call to tell me how much I'm needed it it snows.

Oh yea, I've waited for them to show up before while working,, I'm not high on the priorities list, they get there when they can, my time is worth nothing to them ,,

I really hope he calls to get me too come back,, I'll show up alright and plow it in a huge bank and leave lol

12. IPLOWSNO

Yea,, exactly what happened,, they've wasted a lot of my time this year,,

I did have a meeting to get too, I'm 45 miles away,, I would never waste my gas to go get something I'm owed,,

If it wasn't nice enough to take my bike I wouldn't of even stopped,,

My time is worth money,, more than I'm paid to plow the reason I plowed was its a lot easier than being a carpenter in the winter,, it isn't I found out.

Remember I'm risking not only my life but also my vehicle to get paid ****,and ride in a loader with no radio or working wipers, my old one was real nice,, they must use that to suck you in because I've drove several loaders and they got worse and worse all along ,,
    I leave my house pushing snow just to go to a lot to wait for it to get there and then it's only inches,, I plow more snow at home than most guys do ever lol.

Don't say I padded my hours then have 3 people call to tell me how much I'm needed it it snows.

Oh yea, I've waited for them to show up before while working,, I'm not high on the priorities list, they get there when they can, my time is worth nothing to them ,,

No I'm prettying much done plowing,, I'll stay in my driveway,,

Thanks for letting me vent,,

13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

That's shady...

14. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Sounds like your boss will really be at a loss without you. Sounds like a few months on a chain gang would serve you well.

15. IPLOWSNO

Haha your too funny,, you plow snow and cut grass,, there's really not a lot of skill required to do this ****,,

Any ******* can plow snow, the reason I did it was I had a heart attack and was looking for a break from doing what I actually do to make my money,,

Me on a chain gang you go ahead and try and put me on one lmao,,,,

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Not the best place in the world to post bullsh!t statements like this.

I wonder why you had a heart attack, read every one of your above posts. Quit being such a hard ass, take the hour or 2 of your day and the $20 in fuel and go resolve the issue. If it were me, it would be worth a day to collect assumably $1k-1,200. (20hr at a min $60 if it was your truck?) Even at $15-20 as a grunt it would still be worth it. It doesn't make any sense to me why you wouldn't.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  17. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmm.......I think I see the problem

18. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok guys, I think most have stated their opinions, etc. on this so I'm going to close this one down

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.