1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Install

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by us2bafhemi, Nov 24, 2005.

1. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Hey guys, Just bought myself a 7'6" BOSS std duty for my 96 Ram 1500. Looking to save myself the time in waiting 3 weeks to have it installed and do it myself. A task i am sure i can accomplish. Question is, how difficult is it actually to assemble and install the plow. I have a full shop setup and all tools you can think of to get the job done. And do you think i should go with a heavier plow?
    Thanks to all!!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

From the sounds of it you can easily install the plow your self.
    Just take your time and make sure every thing it tight and think out where the best place to run the wiring loom
    If the plow is to heavy you can get the coil springs for a 3/4 ton there easy to install too, with hand tools. The coil spring numbers for a 3/4 ton with the plow prep are #38 & #39 you can get them from your Dodge dealer for around $285 or you can stiffer ones if you think you need them.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

No problem, as long as you understand basic wiring, you can do it. I have installed a Western, a Meyers, half a dozen Fishers and a Boss. All fairly easy.

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I should add, not just because i was too cheap or too impatient. I enjoy doing it, And I know it gets done right. I take extra measures, routing, tying up loose ends etc. No mechanic cares about your truck as much as you. Plus you can troubleshoot it if you have problems.

5. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys.
    KSLAND, I hear you, i am very anal when it comes to my truck, everything has to be perfect. Thanks again guys.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i cant remember what size drill bit you need but buy 3, so when you break the first 2 you can still finish. :)

7. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Allright guys, picked up the plow this morning, going to install it tommorow. Wish me luck. Doesn't look to bad. I'll let you guys know how i make out.

8. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

OK Fellas, all done. a total of about 6 hours from start to finish. It went real smooth until it came time to wire the pump on the plow. Hooking al those wires following the schematic and wiring the smart hitch was a little much for me, had to call in the old man to help. On top of all that i am color blind so telling the differnce in those wires was a little scary for me. But all in all, it was a great install, nice and smooth, no drilling required, except for the harness into the cab, and everything works awesome. Can't wait for the snow to get it going. Thanks for the confidence guys. Happy Plowing!!

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sounds good!! welcome to the club:drinkup:
    Remember to cheek all of the bolts after your first plowing session and it will take a little time to break in the cutting edge. After it is it will scrape even better.

10. njgreenkeeper

njgreenkeeper Junior Member
    from n.j.

i would only do this in a heated garage.I just installed the same plow yesterday on my truck because i needed it installed right away.running the wiring neatly in the engine compartment was the hardest part in my install

11. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

NJGreen, I agree, as i said in an earlier post, i am very anal when it comes to my trucks, just slamming the wiring in is out of the question. It takes some time, but i think it was all worth it.