1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Install Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by EOS, Nov 8, 2007.

1. EOS

EOS Junior Member

Buying a 8 1/2 boss super duty and putting it on a 2008 f-350 cc, trying to save some money and thinking about installing myself, not to worried about the actual plow install more worried about the wiring.Am I crazy trying to do this or should I have the dealer install?
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i did mine on my Chevy. it is really straight forward. the only thing i got tied up on was the headlight adapters...first because i didnt have them, second because i reversed the polarity which i dont think Ford is the same as Chevy on that issue anyways. It really is simple and straight forward as long as you read the instructions.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's fairly easy.
    Just take your time and do a good job, you'll will be fine

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Save you some money if your mechanicly inclined. (SP) Take your time "YOU CAN DO IT"
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Even though I had never done it before, I took the plunge and did my install myself. If you study the instructions, it will pretty straight forward. I took my time (about 5 hours) and made sure it all looked stock when I was done. You won't hurt anything by trying it yourself. If you get over your head, then take it to someone.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Do it yourself like I did and if you run into a problem....ASK a question here. The advice I got from B&B was very very helpful. :drinkup:
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When you do it yourself, you'll understand how everthing works. Then in the middle of the night you'll know how to fix it.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That right there is the perfect reason to do the install yourself..you'll gain a ton of knowledge of what makes it tick and it will allow you too be much more self sufficient if it needs attention, usually at 3 am on a sat night..:D

As far as dong the install yourself, Boss is one of the easiest to install and to learn on as they have one of the simplest wiring and hydraulic systems..which also makes them one of the easiest to diagnose when/if necessary..
  9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

self install

take your time ,how new ?diesel is a bear ,no room ! you will have to take the bumper and grill off to be able to work and do a clean install .other wise i would say go for it .experience is handy
  10. EOS

EOS Junior Member

2008 Diesel, Thanks For Everybody's Comments, I Think I Am Going To Give It A Try And If I Get Stuck I Guess I Will Be Back To Ask You Guy's For Help.
  11. diy

take the time to make good connections and use dialectric grease ( not just
    a corrosion preventitive grease as supplied with my plow)

I moved mine from one truck to another and now I understand how to problem solve.

your friends have given you good advice.
    You will take 3 times as long as the dealer but the leason is worth it.

btw: get a simple meter to check your work as you go

12. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

If i could do mine in 3 hours anyone can i had to drill 8 holes and it still wasn't to bad but last year when a ground for the solenoid came loose i was sure glad i had installed it and knew where the wires were to trace the problem took me 10 min to fix if i wouldn't of installed it i would of been wiggling wires all night. Just take your time and do it right then you can sit back with a beer and admire your work Good Luck and ask questions the guys on this site are very helpful.