1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Install on a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD/ Z71?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Apr 3, 2014.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I am thinking about buying a new 2015 Silverado 2500HD with the Z71 Package. I have heard from some that this Z71 Package is NOT very compatible to mounting a new BOSS as alot of underbody pieces have to be removed to install it. I have tried 2 different dealers and they both said they were not really sure. Thanks in advance if anyone knows the truth to this before I buy it.

2. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Chassis should be the same as 2011 and up.The biggest problem should be dealing with the new frontal body work!!

3. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

I wouldn't hesitate on buying the truck if thats what YOU want.

We take all of our trucks to a local truck/ plow/ equipment Upfitter.. Where they specialize in doing custom and "unique" plow installs. They're a little bit farther out than my regular dealer but their installs are 10 times better.. They notched out my bumper just enough to get the plow on and off and everything was clean. Also i swap trucks and plows every few years so putting new under carriages on new trucks is a semi-annual thing. I don't even have to bring the plow in when they do a swap. So what I'm saying is, Call your local Body Upfitter Co. and get a quote through them! They're usually more specialized.. and take more time. IDK about you, but If paying more to have the job done right is what it takes--I'll do it!

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

The 2015 is completely different........

5. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Chassis is the same body is different

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It will fit, just have hammers, bars and cutting tools available. Be prepared to cut way large pieces of the bumper, not just the plastic but metal too.

Once the mount goes on, it stays or you decide to live with the look or buy new ($$$$) bumper and fascia,

7. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Thanks NO Z71 Package

Thanks again for the help.The Z71 package I will live without.

8. If you get the snowplow prep package you get a lot of the same hardware as the Z-71 without the cosmetics and if something fails when you're plowing, no dealer loophole. BigBoy is right about the installers, some go at it with a chainsaw, others with a Dremel tool. On my current 2500HD you can't read the Boss logo on the mount, just two slots were cut out the bottom for the tabs to stick out, very clean. On my last Silverado a different installer used an axe.

9. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Install Job

As an installer, a lot has to do on weather your the first install of that specific truck design or not. After you do a couple you can refine it to exactly how much needs to be trimmed. Following the Boss guide lines can cut out more than nessary.

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Are you saying that you actually have to cut the metal bumper not just the plastic. That sucks it will rust almost immediately.

11. pavwa

pavwa Member

anyone get a mount installed on the 2015 yet? i might be getting a truck this week and you guys are making me nervous with all this bumper cut talk

12. obj1

obj1 Junior Member

I have installed 2015 mounts on 2500/3500 trucks. Mounts have changed and air dams must be removed. 40 some bolts to remove!! Boss is making a nice looking "filler" to replace removed air dam and will be out soon. Also, GMC trucks are worse yet. This is sure making installs tougher and more expensive.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes on the Z71 package you need to cut the metal bumper.

Did one yesterday they are cake don't even have to remove the bumper/fascia

depends on the plow manufacturer, did one yesterday, easy peasy, didn't even have to trim the fascia. will try to get the video up on FB soon.

14. jdfireman

jdfireman Member
    from NJ

any luck with the pics of the 2500 hd z71 install on a 2015

15. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm in process of installing mounts on my 2015 GMC 2500HD. In order to get the 15&1/2" height required I'm going to need too cut massive amounts of metal bumper out. Pretty much the sections under the tow hooks and almost to the edge of the license plate.

Basher you said it was easy and nothing to cut? I either have different bumper or I'm doing something seriously wrong.

Anyone have pictures?

16. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Any luck fella's?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Z71? cut the living **** out of the bumper. Otherwise, are you sure you have the right revision?

Boss doesn't change part numbers as the change mounts, they just add/change the "revision" designation.

Makes it very easy to get the wrong mount :nod:and the 2015 is a different mount from the 2014. They changed the crossmember to deal with the new bumper, you have to call to get the right revision number it's not on the website yet, your dealer should have been able to get you that info.

18. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Box and pamphlet in it said it was the new mount. Version B, I think? To clarify, I have a 2015 GMC SLE, not Chevy. I contacted Boss about the replacement lower bumper they sell and was told they only have it for Chevy currently, not the GMC, so something is different.

In this picture I trimmed just enough to get the mount on. I have not trimmed anymore yet. Clearly I have to trim more for the mount where the locking pins are. What I don't know yet is if I have to trim all the way over, under the tow hooks or not.

Mount.jpg

19. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Just finished. Didn't have to cut over to under the tow hooks. Did have to notch out almost 4" wide section though.

20. pavwa

pavwa Member

Just got my mount installed, no cutting of the bumper needed at all, cranked the torsion bars to get the height but thats about all i guess. Mine is an Lt. not a Z71 also... Do have a light/ blinker prob now though, i think the wrong light adapter was used since there really isnt one for a 2015 2500 gasser. My dealer is gonna check tmrw.