1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Install '88-98 Chevy HELP

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MikeRi24, Nov 5, 2011.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I'm putting my plow on my '99 (OBS) Chevy 3/4 ton. I'm wondering where you guys that have done this before are mounting the solenoid? I know they give you that real short battery cable to go from the battery to the solenoid, but the battery is on the passenger side and between that, the airbox and coolant reservoir, theres really no space to mount anything or run any wires. I was thinking of just making a longer battery cable and mounting everything else on the drivers side where theres PLENTY of room. Also, does it matter which way the headlight harness goes in? Theres the short side and then the long side thats meant to run to the opposite side of the vehicle. Does it matter which ends up on which side?

2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

we have done a few in those trucks. Since we just love are chevy. I must have read your post a few times over. the battery cable should be long enough to run from the battery to the driver side no problem. then hook up the plow plug to the other side of the solnoid. black wire on the plow plug to battery neg. the the main harnass . lay it out flat. the main part of the harnass (the thicker) part goes on the driver side run it up and under the fender. Mount the relays to the driver side firewall. pull head lights out and connect. I think that should help.

3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I installed the selenoid for my Boss V on the fan shroud, by the battery. I ran a ground strap from one of the mounting bolts. I'm going into my 4th year with this setup ... no problems.

4. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Fan shroud also.

5. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I ended up mounting everything on the drivers side and running a new cable from the battery over to the drivers side. I looked at some photos of AlaskaBoss's install on one of his chevys and got the basic idea there. I have everything hooked up and mounted, and the plow works, I just really screwed something up with the headlight harnesses. I think I am going to just take it to my Boss dealer tomorrow and have them fix it. I'm really behind on landscaping work/leaf cleanups and I have a TON of other projects I have to get done before winter, so as much as I hate to pay someone to do the work for me, it may be worth it in this case.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it has composite headlamps the most common mistake is plugging one or more of the headlamp harness plugs in upside down. They go either way but only one way is correct. For your truck they need connected on the "A" side. That is, the locking tab on all connectors need to be on the "A" side.

7. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I switched the connectors all to A, and the lights work, but now I have a new problem. When I turn the lights on, the high beams come on. When I turn the high beams on (light in the dash ON), the high beams go off and the low beams come on. I tried reversing the blue and black plugs in the harness, but that didnt do anything. On the actual headlight adapters, theres a gray plug and a black plug. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I noticed that and tried to go black to black and gray to gray, but they wouldnt fit together that way, only gray to black and gray to black. I'm thinking that has to be the problem. Also, I noticed that now the controller does not have power (it did yesterday when the headlights were messed up) and the TRUCK-PLOW switch doesnt work now either. I'm not sure if all of this is connected or not.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You now have them orientated correctly but now you have the colored plugs wrong.That's your new problem.The like colors must be plugged together. Black to black, grey to grey.

They're color coded for a reason. :waving:

9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Not that this has anything to do with it, but why doesnt it seem to matter which way the blue and black connectors are plugged in?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because they are not side specific so it doesn't matter. They just have to be plugged in.

11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

got it. the controller not powering up was due to one of the pins in the harness plug coming out (weird) but everything seems to be working now.