1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss hydraulic fluid loss

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nbuzz, Jan 18, 2013.

1. nbuzz

nbuzz Junior Member

I've searched for an answer but couldn't find any threads that mactch.

A friend of mine has an rt3 8' vee same as me but he's leaking hydraulic fluid out the top vent cap on the reservoir when he lifts up and down 2 or 3 cycles. we didnt overfill the reservoir. the plow will v in and out without fluid but as soon as you lift cycle a few times the thing loses so much fluid that it can't run at all.

Any advice on troubleshooting and repair? thanks guys.
  2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Stop adding fluid!
  3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

4. nbuzz

nbuzz Junior Member

I appreciate the responses, but I think you guys misunderstand the issue. I should've been more detailed.

we were plowing for about a 12-14 push when he lost so much fluild that there was no hydraulic pressure for the plow to operate. so we then re-filled the reservior and tried to cycle it through to make it operational.

after we filled it the plow re-gained pressure but after 2-3 lift cycles it puked all the fluid out of the top of the reservior again.

so the question is does he have a stuck or frozen valve? could it be the pressure relief valve? I don't have much experience on the hydraulic manifolds, so any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks, Nick,