1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss hooking up

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CrazyCooter, Nov 4, 2009.

1. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I mean the PLOW!

Just upgraded my truck this year and got rid of the fisher Xblade and went the Boss V route. My question is: If I have the blade off the truck on level ground off the truck, and we get a decent snowfall, is it as hard as the fisher to hook it up and get plowing? M experience with the fisher "quick mount" Was that it was either a 30 second job to hook it up - or 30 mins. What a pain in the @ss that thing could be. Is boss easier? Dealer says so - but he sells them, so obviously he has an interest in telling me so. Y'all don't have that same interest. So, tell me how it is!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Snow won't have an effect on it unless the truck ends up being MUCH higher due to it; or any rear ballast you add...but they're rather forgiving for the most part.

3. CrazyCooter

My ballast stays pretty constant; within 300#. I typically have 700-1000 in the back for ballast. How much is much? Just wondering if I come home from other things and there's 4" or 6" of snow on the ground, will she hook up ok or do I have to shovel a path or mess with it as much as I did my fisher?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's at the correct height to begin with you'll have no issues. Just push into the plow a little harder and the pushframe will pop right under the hooks and you'll be on your way. No pry bars, wooden blocks or hammers needed.

5. CrazyCooter

Oh good god, I almost forgot about the pry bars and sledges I used to have in the truck for the Fisher. Not to mention sitting on the blade, pushing in the headgear till I could get at least ONE pin to click. Not to mention the times I had "connection issues" or the immense power drains. Hope the Boss makes it less problematic. Tired of beating my plow - while it's still sitting idle in my driveway!

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have had NO problems like that unless I have changed my balast, but that was only once, all I did was pull up to the plow, put a 2x6 under rear wheels to adj. x-tra balast! you will LOVE ur new BOSS

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Most cases it takes less that a min. to hook up, I spend the most time lineing up the plow to the under carriage, but I beleive that BOSS has mastered a quick hook up! `:~)

8. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Got the 8.2 V last year. LOVE it! Very easy to hook up.
    The worst thing I ran into was hooking up the electrical connection once. I think I had "wiggled" the plug too much when unhooking it the time before and bent the pins, making them tough to line up the next time. Im a little more careful when unplugging it now.

Man, its a long way from my first plow in the 70's ...laying on my back, under the truck, next to the straight axle, with a hammer, trying to line pins up to the hitch....

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive helped put on one of my subs boss v plow and fought and fought trying to get it on even using another plow to push it into his truck, but just picked up our straight blade last night and it went on fairly easy. 1 thing to know is if it doesnt have the smart hitch make sure the controler is in the down/float position, makes life lots easier

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Was ur subs Boss plow an older RT-2? cause those were a pain in the @ss to put on, I always droped mine at a tree , used a chain around tree to pull off and pushed against tree to install!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have trouble getting one of these Boss's on or off then either the truck isn't setup correctly, the operator is doing it incorrectly...or you're storing it on the side a cliff.

12. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

a boss should slide on like an old pair of jeans.

13. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

the flip lever on the RT-2 was very wore out, so when you fliped lever down to detach it never lifted the little claw thingys that droped over the push beam, but my RT-3 fits like a glove!

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The odd time you might need a Jack to get it high enough to mount but that is probably because we run our springs a little loose to make it trip easier. I take my blade off the minute I'm done plowing and put it back on just before and I've never had a problem.

15. mike custom

mike custom Junior Member

your plow should be on the night before it even snows. but otherwise, just make sure your plow is set up in the straightest, most level area possible and you'll never have a problem. if you take it off on mud or dirt or even soft gravel put a board under the jack so it doesnt sink into the ground, because that always makes it difficult to get it on. Personally I went from an old meyers to a boss about 5 years ago and will never buy another brand again. I test drove an f550 i was going to buy a month back and the only reason i didnt buy it was bc it had a Fisher straight blade. UNIMPRESSIVE.

16. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

only time i have a issue is in the spring if i take the plow off it will melt into the driveway on warmer days. (gravle that usealy becomes 4-5" of hard packed ice/snow by the end of the winter) that will make it a pain otherwise its very easy!

17. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I have a 8'2" Boss V rt-3 and I've been having issues with the passenger side pin not releasing when taking the plow off. I have to power the tower up while pulling the pin, might not be perfectly level but its pretty close. When everything goes well its on/off in less than a minute!

18. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

an 8 year old girl can hookup my ultramount in 30 seconds.

seriously.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget as the cutting edge wears down you may have trouble taking it on and off.

20. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

its like 30 seconds for me to drive into it and plug it in and hook it up. i always set my plow one notch high so i dont have a problem.