1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss, Hiniker or Western?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Jerreber, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Jerreber

Jerreber Junior Member

So I have it narrowed down to these three plows mainly because that's what is sold in my area. I'm really leaning toward a hiniker scoop plow. I'm familiar with boss v's with my past employer and to be honest was not impressed with the A frame and hinges. Never used a Western. I have a 95 F 250 Diesel or a 96 Chevy 2500 that it'll go on. Ford already has a boss mount. This might not be the right forum to post this since many of you are probably partial to Hiniker! Also like Hiniker when I compare the price to a boss!
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Hinikers are great plows, and roll snow like no other...but I don't like the idea of the scoop plow because of heavy snow events and the issue of backdragging.. I'd go with the poly v.

But Just go with either the Boss or the Hini...There both direct lift plows...(there so much better than the chain lift western)

just remember how many times you lift your plow in a shift...do you really want to wait for the damn chain to have to tighten it's slack before the plow starts to raise off of the ground any longer than you should?...not to mention chain bounce is brutal.

The Ford should definitely get a Boss since the mount is already installed...
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I don't quite understand all the hating on the chain lift. My western (and various meyers I have used) doesn't bounce (unless i hit a bump big enough to make me come out of my seat) Not saying direct lift is bad, or worse, cuz I think it's a little better-but the bounce side of things is just a myth IMO.

Regarding the choice of the plow-so much of it depends on how it will be used. With light events, a v is not necessary and a scoop plow has less parts to break. If you need to bust 4 foot packed drifts, maybe a scoop isn't the best. What will you be doing with the plow?
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

It's because you've never used a Direct lift plow in a storm plowing.

You would be a hater too.
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I really like the Hiniker. The scoop plows are great and really dont back drag that bad. I'm in MN and we only get 3" at a time though :eek:. I have a lot of time with a 9' scoop and a 8' straight and really have no complaints other than the controler. I wish it was a little more formed to the hand like the Boss'.
    If I were in the market for a new plow I would look at a new Boss but in the end would probably end up with another Hiniker.

Oh I have owned Westerns as well and they dont do anything for me. No real complaints but I dont like them as much as the Hinikers.

Good luck to ya :)
  6. Jerreber

Jerreber Junior Member

Where I'm at we get 3 - 5 snow events a season over 6 - 8". Most snowfalls are usually 2" - 4" pushes. And we only average about 15 - 18 plows a year. Most of the stuff I do are acre lots or smaller with more than average back dragging. Never thought about back dragging with a hiniker scoop....does this not work well?
  7. Jerreber

Jerreber Junior Member

I worked for a company that went out and bought 4 new trucks along with 5 the previous year and all had boss v blades. Not sure exactly how many of the a frames were trashed after a couple of years but it was more than half. Of course they had some wreckless people who didnt care either (Every truck had a dent by year 2). Now that I'm on my own, I'll be the one plowing which hopefully will make a difference. I'm just really scared getting V regardless off the manufacturer - I don't have the bankroll to fix one after I buy a new one at the ridicoulous prices they are charging now! Hell, maybe I'll just go with a simple straight blade!!
  8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I'd go w/ a 8.2 boss and get wings for it. On the heavy snows pull the wings off, but with the light stuff you can use the wings to knock it out faster.
  9. Jerreber

Jerreber Junior Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinkin. Do you know a rough price for it?
  10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Probably going to be close to 6k for the whole setup w/ wings. Maybe slightly more.