1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss hinge pin problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by packey, Jan 27, 2008.

1. packey

packey Member

Has anyone had problems with the hinge pin working loose and breaking bunions out the blade where the main frame attaches to blade.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I haven't.

Can you post pics

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Are you talking about the center hinge on a vee? I have. Luckly I had to reattach my snow deflector in the center and caught it in time. But a pic or 2 would be awesome.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I saw a guy with bunions on his feet, but havent seen any on my plow....j/k
    yeah I agree with the picture thing

5. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

b onions

wtf are you talking about,Boss has always had hinge issues when i ran boss i had more weld then moldboard but Hiniker solved that problem with a new backbone hinde assembly and they came out with that on there v plow. does your plow have signs of this on it , you might find them on the cutting egde . http://www.drfoot.co.uk/Bunion_Pictures.htm

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  6. Pushin_On

Pushin_On Junior Member

Rear hinge pin.

I have lost the rear hinge pin on the a frame part. there is a cotter pin that holds the pin in place, i replace them every year now. It aloud the blade and a frame to shift back crushing my hyd. reservior and snapping the lift/lower cylinder,:angry: I check them before each use. I was thinking of converting that to a hardened bolt with locking nut. Any sugestings?

7. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Crap that sounds bad
    so your pivot pin 1" or so pin might of broke inhalf, came out , yeah i had the problem of that too when i had the boss.Im not sure if you will have the clearance side to side for a bolt and nut, when the plow is in the vee position there are very closed corners back there, i had welded a large washer on the end of the pin it worked for awhile until i hit a curb and sherred the pin in half and had to use a torch to cut it out, , if you do weld a washer on the end make sure you shorten the pin a 1/4 inch or so to make up for the washer and weld on both ends otherwise when you go to put it in the v and plow the washer will smash and dent into the rear or the moldboard, Good luck, as always take some pictures and post, its fun seeing damage:)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  8. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

I think packeys problemis the same as pushin on

Check out the post packey i left, let us know if this is what you meant thanks Paul

9. packey

packey Member

A friend of mine was showing me the problem. He is a mechanic for a equipment company and has had 2 separate plows in the last week both less than 2 years old with the same problem. Basically wher the hinge pin attaches the blade to the main frame the bhe mounting area has broke out. Both plows are 9 2 v plaws one is used commercailly and the other is used by a business owner for his persoanl lot and home.

10. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

are you talking the horizontal 8 inch pin or the vertical pin that joins both wings together

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I am pretty sure it is the pin the plow pivots on when lifting and lowering. Under your locking pins. Make sence?

12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You are talking about the large pin that the push beam atatches to the moulboard, right?We have had alot of trouble with the pin shearing off the cotter pins that hold it. We gave up and put a couple of good weld beads on the ends of the hinge pin so it cant shear off the little cotter pin.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  13. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

God i cant believe how many posts are wasted on saying the same thing,

14. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Junior Member
    from midwest

Boss makes a replacement pin for the troublesome roll/cotter pin setup on the front of the A- frame, it's basically a bolt with lock nut, I cross drilled it and put in a grease zerk, $18 list

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes

Yes

Yes

Had problems with all of the above.