1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss HID's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Jan 19, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone have High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights for their boss plow or does any other plow manufacturer offer them. If you do, how much brighter are they compared to regular halogen lights. I know they cost something like 1200 extra, which is alot, but has anyone invested in a set.
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have a set of Hella HID's. You can see a picture of them HERE. The HID's are the best lights I have ever seen or used. There is no comparison between them and any other light out there. The big drawback is the price ($1300.00 for the Hella's) but they put out some serious light. Another great advantage is that they do not draw very much current. I think they would be great for plowing since most plows about max out the electrical system. The HID's put out a whiter light that almost appears to have a blue tint to it. This color of light is great for cutting though snow. I have run them in blows up on the north slope when a normal halogen was totally useless. If you can afford them get them you will not be disappointed.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Not to fight with you Crumm but I beg to differ with you about the max out thing.:D I've run the standard lights on my Boss plus I run stereo, heater, and light bar. Seems to be fine. However, sometimes if I'm plowin snow, I turn the lights off and just run the lightbar just to be safe.:waving:
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

:nono: Put em up....:gunsfiring:

With higher amp alternators you will have plenty of power but some folks like me with a stock 1975 alternator are running on the edge. Also you don't have to worry about starting a fight with me what I post is just my little olé opinion and I feel that everyone has there own. If I thought everyone would agree with everything I say I would run for president.;)
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

03superduty oh, sorry 04superduty, lol, i read a post on here the other day about a guy who is running his lights right from his battery and not through the relay from the manufacture. He said the stock wire's won't hold enough current that the manufacture recommends on the bulb. With an added $ 5.00 relay he is getting almost a 1/3 more luminescence with the modification. You are right though, I have the standard BOSS light kit and it's not very impressive, kinda weak. I'm lookin for other suggestions also, keep me posted if you hear of anything.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm also using 2 batteries though.:D
  7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

See www.brightheadlights.com They stock and distribute Sylvania Xenarc kits. We installed the 4656 kits into our trucks and adore them. The HID lights throw more light and draw a ton less. The Xenarc pricing is also laods better than the BOSS setup.

Since the kits replace OEM, they wire right into the existing harness and behave the same. We tucked the ballasts inside the plow light housing.