1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS HID Headlight conversion for less than $100

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, I finally got my HID kits for the Boss, and this plow is a piece of cake to convert, as compared to the Blizzard, which I converted as well a couple days ago. (posted in Blizzard section). The Boss lights have a lot more room in them,... as a matter of fact, not only can you get one ballast inside the housing, you can get two!! So, when you're done,... you have a quad HID system in place with not a hint externally that anything is different. Here's a "picture list" of what I did,.... starting out with removing the headlights from the black plastic housing. When you take it out, you will see that the headlight cluster fits into the housing & lines up properly via the 4 studs on the back of the cluster that fit into the 4 deep, round sockets,.. 2 on the left side & 2 on the right. Push the stock wiring harness & rubber grommet down & out of the housing, so it's out of the way to do a little modifying inside the housing. As you can see in the first picture, there's a nipple right in the center of the rear of the housing,... there's 3 other round "double sockets", and 4 flat brace-like structures in the back,.. 2 on the top & 2 on the bottom. As far as I can tell, none of these 8 features have any function or use to the headlight cluster,... they don't touch anything or support anything,... the best I can guess is that they were used during the manufacturing process. In any case, if you want to mount 2 ballasts inside the housing, all 8 of these protrusions must be removed. I have a 4" disc grinder that fits in there fine & ground them all off in just a minute or two,... as shown in the 2nd picture,...

boss1 (Small).JPG

boss2 (Small).JPG
  2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Next I took the stock headlight bulbs out of the cluster, and put the new HID bulbs in place,.... 9006 for lo beam, and 9005 for hi beam,...

boss3 (Small).JPG

boss4 (Small).JPG
  3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Since the ballasts will be side x side, I took a chunk of double-sided tape & taped the two ballasts together, so they are locked together tight, and won't rub & rattle against each other,... the hi & lo beam kits I have are different brands, so the ballasts are slightly different sizes, but it makes no difference,...I also staggered them, so one cable is on each side, and looped the cable back to attach it to the bulb on the opposite side as where it comes out of the ballast,...

boss5 (Small).JPG

boss6 (Small).JPG
  4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then, run the stock wires back up thru the hole in the bottom of the housing & re-fit the rubber grommet properly,... then set the double ballasts in the back of the housing,... the stock wires coming up from the bottom act as a perfect "stop" to help keep the ballasts right where you want them in the back,....

boss7 (Small).JPG
  5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Plug the stock light plugs into the ballasts, connect both lights to the ballast, and once it's all hooked together, carefully arrange the wires inside so the light cluster will fit and fully set into the sockets in the housing, without forcing anything,.. you might have to wiggle things around a bit, but it will fit together right & without forcing it,... a little duct tape may help keep some of the wires out of your way,... then connect your plow to your truck and make sure everything works as it should,....

boss8 (Small).JPG
  6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

After I had it all together & working,..it was time to take it out & see what I could see,.... and it was as the other conversions have been,... pretty much blew the halogens out of the water,...or should I say snow,... (Lo vs Hi beam on my driveway) :cool:

boss9 (Small).JPG

boss10 (Small).JPG
  7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Now, these were a couple of the 35w cheap-o kits from ebay that I found for about $45 & free shipping, so for less than $100, my Boss plow now lights up the whole world, just like the truck. The results were very much worth it, and I can convert everything back to stock lights in probably less than 30 minutes, with no harm done, if I wanted to, or if I no longer used this plow, etc. Sure beats $1600 that they want at the dealer,..... :salute::salute:

boss11 (Small).JPG

boss12 (Small).JPG
  8. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Wow! Great set up!!! I think I'd like to try the same on mine... Can you provide the exact model numbers, mfg. etc. for the HID lights you bought, so I can try and order the same exact set? Thanks.
  9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I think I'll be doing this in the near future!!
  10. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I think I can see my house in New Hampshire!
  11. nassa

nassa Junior Member

Nice setup, do you think this would work on the new XLS Fisher plow, because that looks sweet
  12. tbirdhau

tbirdhau Junior Member

Those are awsome. where did you find them on ebay?
  13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The kits I used for my plows are "Xentec" brand, found on ebay,... I also had another brand kit called "XtremeHIDs", but I have a feeling that for the most part, it doesn't really matter which one's you get, they all are plug-n-play. It's more important to order them from a reputable dealer that will stand behind you & replace any components that may be bad. Almost every HID dealer's ad is somewhat generic,... you have to be sure to tell them what type bulb & what color temp you want,... these, and all my other kits have all been 6000k temp (slightly blue from sunlight). Now, I don't know how this would work in the brand-new style Boss lights (the ones that look like someone stole the head off of Star Wars' "3-CPO"), or how much room there is in those new housings. My Boss dealer told me that Boss will no longer carry their HID conversions as an option anymore on the plows.

I'm sure you can do it to your Fisher lights too,... if there's a will, there's a way, but how easy it would be, and whether or not you could get everything inside the housing or not,.... I have no idea.

Just type "HID headlight kits" into the search bar, and you can read for hours. Several things to watch for tho,... I tried to be sure to get a kit that is digitally controlled, not analog,.... sometimes they say, sometimes they don't. And I wanted to deal with someone that says,.... "If a part fails, send it back to me, not the manufacturer, and I will make it right," Also, be sure you're dealing with someone who is in the US and ships from the US,... some of those ads appear to be fronts for foreign businesses, and you don't want to have your lights shipped from Hong Kong or somewhere else like that. One of the clues that I need to see happen when I order something like this, is email response,... when I ask a question or two about their products, I want a reply back within 24 hours, and I want it from a person (who can communicate in decent English), not something auto-generated. Good luck !
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i've been meaning to do this forever, expect the fact i need to order some diamond cut/composit replacment lights for my older style boss lights before i can convert them.

so for right now i run the truck's HIDs alot because i can see so much better with it.

looks AWSOME idk why more people dont go HID the differance is amazing.
  15. tbirdhau

tbirdhau Junior Member

did you go with the bright white? Do you feel they are plenty bright or if you had to do it again would you go brighter? So you need to buy 2 kits correct, one for each side. I'm assumming you ordered one kit with the high beams and the other with the low beams right.
  16. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Fantastic post and very informative. Excellent points made when shopping ebay. The only thing that I would add is to consider making your purchases using paypal. It's a good safety net, should you have any problems w/ a transaction.
  17. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

would this be able to be done easily on the intensefires? they look great and your write up very deatiled thanks
  18. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice Alaska. I wonder how they will stand up to the vibration. Good luck with them. They look great.
  19. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I was going to mention that you should go over & check out what I did to my Blizzard lights, since the old-style Boss lights like you have are the same as the current Blizzard lights, but then I saw that you already did,.. haha. The last time I talked to Eric at Truckwell, he told me that he only knows of one factory Boss HID conversion that they sold ($1600), and the guy had nothing but constant trouble with it,... something was always not working right,..etc,etc etc. The Boss HID kit came with a special light cluster designed just for HID, so if you ever run across a set of those from a customer that wants something different,... give me a call,.. ;)

All the kits I've bought were 6000k color temp,.. after looking at them in real life, I decided that's what I wanted, and if I had to do it again, would not change anything. Sunlight is approx 5800k, so 5000k & 6000k are as close as you can get to pure white. (5000k is slightly yellow, 6000k is slightly blue). And yes, if you want both hi & lo beams to be HID, you need to order 2 kits, one for each (9005 kit & 9006 kit)

Absolutely,... Paypal is the fastest & safest,... :salute:

I'm sure you could do this with Intensefires,. or any other plow light there is,... as long as it takes a typical style bulb that is produced in HID. Each brand & type of plow light will have it's own challenges, but I'm convinced now that everything could be converted,... just be certain that they're aimed correctly! For those who plow in cities, even at night, but have mostly lighted streets & parking lots, this may not be something that will have a lot of added benefit, but if you plow back in the woods, with almost no traffic to deal with, like me,... this is one of the best plow modifications you can do,... IMO,....:salute:
  20. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Yep, that's the big unknown question,.... will they last like they claim,... but because it's dark here in Alaska about 20 hours a day in mid-winter, and at least 80%-90% of my plowing is in the dark,.... even if they only last one year,.... for $90, I'd replace them every winter if I had to, for the increase in light they make,... :cool: