1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss headlights dim

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by scott v, Jan 23, 2010.

1. scott v

scott v Junior Member

I have a 8'2" vee-blade on my 1985 chevy truck and the headlights are very dim. The plow was new last year, I had the problem last year to but I just lived with it. I think it might be something with the truck it self due to the fact that the plow is set up for my 2005 gmc also, but the lights work fine on that truck. Maybe a ground issue? I've gone back through all the wiring and it is hooked up right, do you need extra grounds for if trucks? If anyone can help that would be great! Thanks, Scott

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are both trucks wired with the 13 pin harness? Probably just a weak ground on the 85's headlamps more than likely but there's other possibles too depending on exactly what we're working with.

3. scott v

scott v Junior Member

Thanks for the response!
    Yes both of them are 13 pin, but the only difference is the harness in the 2005 is five years old and the one in the 1985 was new last year.I read on a post last night that if you snip the white/yellow wire and run it directly to a ground that helps,but that was on a newer dodge. Mine is reversed on the old truck,but i tried it anyway, with the white/yellow on ground the headlights do no work, but the red/yellow to ground the low beams work and are a lot brighter but the high beams do not work at all. The plow has the new style head lights on it, but like i said they work fine on the 2005, so i know that they work. I've gone back over the wiring and all the head light adapters with the install instructions and every thing looks right, so i'm hoping it's just something stupid. Thanks, Scott

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

5. scott v

scott v Junior Member

I'll check out your mod. Thanks.

6. scott v

scott v Junior Member

That's quite a few mods to do, you would think that the wiring harness that you get for your truck when you buy the plow new would work so you wouldn't have to do all those mods to your wiring. Or have a little more info on trouble shooting issues like the one I have, seeing that all trucks are not the same. O well I guess a little improvising is what I need at this point.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a two headlamp or four headlamp truck Scott? Do the truck headlamps work fine? As in they're as bright as they should be? From what you've described it appears the plow harness isn't configured correctly for the truck, thus dim plow lights are the result.

8. scott v

scott v Junior Member

It is a four headlight system,truck headlights work fine high and low. The plow light high beams work fine, it's just the low beams that are really dim. I've checked all the grounds it the headlight wiring with a test light, everything has ground. I've even tried to add another ground to the harness from the battery ground and that does not seem to help. I've been over the wiring adapters and made sure all the plugs are in the right place and the wires are hooked up to the battery correct numerous times everything seems to be right. At this point I don't know what to do. Thanks, Scott

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Somehow I knew it would be a 4 lamp truck. Look on the relay pack for the only relay that has a red/white wire. Remove that relay from the socket and see if the lows then improve. I'll bet they do. And if so, then we're move further.

10. scott v

scott v Junior Member

O.K. I pulled that relay out with the lights on and it seemed like the only thing it did was the lights got a little bit dimmer(low beams). Thanks.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the vehicle option connector on the red/yellow and the white/yellow wires to see if its reversed. It should be red/yellow to red/yellow and like wise for the white/yellow. If it's not, reverse them.

Also, did you leave the small red/white wire that should be connected to the positive battery terminal connected?

12. scott v

scott v Junior Member

The red/white is hooked up to the positive, but the red/yellow and the white/yellow are hooked up opposite and the tag on the wire says it needs to be this way for the year of the truck. (1985)

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Reverse them.

14. scott v

scott v Junior Member

Alright be right back!Thanks

15. scott v

scott v Junior Member

Alright, I reversed them and the high beams on the plow come on, the high beam indicator in the truck stays on too. If you hit the high beam switch the low and high beams on the plow come on very dim.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, reversing the option connector from it's intended way was a test to see if they orientated the headlight adapter pins correctly, and I'd say that they did not. So that needs addressed. Check the pin orientation on the light adapters following the info on the last page in this document here.

Don't forget to swap the option connector back to it original orientation too and I think you'll be all fixed up.

17. scott v

scott v Junior Member

ok, so I switch the yellow and the black wires on the adapters that go to the low beams. I switch them on both sides, the headlight plug in side and the adapter plug in side. The low beams work great nice and bright, but when you hit the high beams on the plow lights they dont come on and the low beams go very dim and all the markers lights on the truck flicker. If you turn the plow lights off and go with just the truck headlights the low beams work, but the high beams don't. I think were getting closer and I thank you for all the help! Thanks, Scott

18. scott v

scott v Junior Member

Was I suppose to switch the black and yellow wires at the high beams too? Because I did that and it did not help, still having the same problem with the high beams.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  19. scott v

scott v Junior Member

was i suppose to switch the black and yellow wires at the high beams too? because i did that and it did not change anything, i'm still having the same problem with the high beams.

20. scott v

scott v Junior Member

sorry for the double post, i couldn't figure out how to delete one of them.