1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss headlights adjustible??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by HULK2184, Jan 28, 2009.

1. HULK2184

HULK2184 Member

I just bought 2 new headlight housings and put them on. I didn't really pay attention until they were already on but i cant or just don't know how to adjust the lights, i can loosen the bolts and turn it left or right but is there suppose to be a adjustment for the up and down, so i can get then to be higher/lower? Or do they not adjust that way. My old ones were so beat up that the posts would just come right off the light so just not sure if the new ones are suppose to move.

Thanks for the help

ill try and get a pic of it but, there are pics of the type of lights that i have in my profile
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

yes there should be a certain amount of vertical adjustment . some time's the slot's are a little rough and you have to cycle them up and down a couple time's to free up the stud's .
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There isn't much vertical adjustably in them. So to gain more, simply loosen the entire light bar on the lift tower and tip the entire lights/light bar assembly up or down until you have them to your liking. If you need even more adjustment than the bolt holes will provide simply replace the 3/8" bolts with 5/16" bolts...it will give you any/all the adjustment you'll ever require.
  4. HULK2184

HULK2184 Member

Great!! Thanks guys, I think that i will have too move the light bar assembly, never even thought of doing didnt know that it would work.
  5. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

B & B, just wanted to thank you for the great advice with the light bar bolts... since I picked up this 4 year old used super duty the headlights have been driving me nuts... bolts are so rusted that I couldn't break them loose and they were aimed about 5' in front of the blade. I never thought of loosening the bar bolts and adjusting it that way. I tried with the 3/8ths that were in there and just wasn't quite enough so switched them to stainless steel 5/16ths and now have enough play to get them set perfectly. Just wanted to thank you for the great advice! Might actually be able to see tonight with 4-8" on the way.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you found it helpful RD. You'd be surprised how many guys are amazed with that often overlooked adjustability once they discover it. Even if it requires a little hint first. :waving:
  7. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

B & B, I want to give a shout out to you as well. I've struggle with those damn boss lights all season, and have honestly come pretty close to taking a sledge hammer to them. I tried it your way (which now seems so obvious) and within 4 to 5 mins. had the lights adjusted perfectly. Thank You!!!!!!
  8. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

I wish I could find a way to keep mine tight. My local plow shop welded them in place and that worked for about a season and now they look like a bobble head going down the road again.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

great info b&b, i was just going to ask the same thing as the original poster... since i've moved plows on different trucks now, and depending on if we have the backs overloaded with salt "front of truck facing to the sky" or nothing in back for ballast, and now the "nose facing down", it sucks.

My one f350 with an 08 boss 8'2" v XT i couldnt get the darn things low at all, i tried several times to get them much lower, soon as you tighten them up, they go back WAY up in the air, i mean i could hit the 3rd floor of a building only 100ft away :( Maybe that lightbar on that plow is just angled much higher than my other ones. My 7'6" on the f150 points at the ground and i havnt fixed that either. Ill try adjusting the bar and then level the lights close to each other, !ussmileyflag