1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Headlight/HID Question...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ibew697, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

This question is in regards to the truck in my sig(03 2500hd w/Boss 8'2" V RT3 Smarthitch2)...I swapped both headlight housing because the lights could no longer be aimed due to the fact that the carriage/bumper type bolt on the bottom of the housing just spins with the nut. I, also, decided to add some HID's for my low beams. I installed a relay for the HID's too. After all was done, I had an issue with some flickering and my passenger side occasionally not firing. I was able to jump out the negative side of the ballast directly to my battery and it corrected my problems. So, I went to the "Boss Relay Pack" under the hood and cut the white w/yellow wire from terminal 87. I taped up the tail of that wire from the relay and extended the other end to the negative side of my battery. Now to my first question...Does anyone see any harm in this? As per the plow light wiring schematic, I see that the red w/yellow is the positive for the low beams, blue w/yellow is the positive for the high beams, and the white w/yellow is for the negative side of the lamp for both the highs and lows. I don't see why there would be a problem with what I've done, but I am asking the pros to be sure. The way I have everything wired now pretty much renders the one existing relay (white w/ yellow stripe) useless. Thank you in advance, Jake

2. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

Grounding out the white/yellow wire on the plow side shouldn't't cause any problems, you should check the truck lights with the plow off just too make sure. I installed a Boss 10 ft V on a 2006 F-650 and had to splice both white/yellow wire together to get the turn/ running lights to work correctly. The reason you had to ground you HID lights is due the trucks factory ground wires are not large enough to handle the extra amperage and causing a voltage drop for the HID transformer to energize completely. I came to this conclusion when I installed HID lights on my Toyota Tundra.

3. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

Yea...i had to do the same on my truck HID's...that's why when i had that issue I went straight to the ground wire. The truck lights work fine. What i did shouldn't have anything to do with the truck side, technically. When i cut the negative (white w/yellow) wire, i only used the end of the wire that goes down the harness to the plow. The other end of the cut wire is still attached to the existing boss relay, taped up. Thanks for the reply Gumpy.

4. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

BTW, I'll try and take some pics and get them posted up with the light output in the next day or so....Jake