1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Headlight HID kits

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cameo89, Dec 21, 2010.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Looking into a HID kit for my Boss lights, anyone on here use one of these kits?
    I found a seller that sells a kit just for the Boss light housing for $140 shipped and the kit listed below is ony $50 shipped, thought maybe I would buy 2 kits, one for plow lights and a kit for my truck lights also.

What is the best/recomended #/color temp to use 6k,8k,10k?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I would stay away from the higher temps. The more blue the output - the more reflective the light becomes with the snow. From my experience, the lower temps; 4300 (stock-ish color) and 5000 (pure white) are best in the snow. 6000 (white with a hint of blue) isn't too bad either.

I have 6000's in my truck (heads and fogs) and my blade. I have some 4300's as spares for the blade. I've been thinking about swapping the bulbs - but I just haven't had the time.

Good Luck Sir!

3. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

go to www.ddmtuning.com and get the slim ballast ones . ive had them for over a year and no problems at all

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

@20Silverado05: I ordered the $35 slim line (small balast) today, I don't think it will show up by christmas but atleast ones on the way! I do have a question for someone who has hid's hi and low beam! If you run your low beams and then decide you want high beams, do the bulbs/tubes need to warm up? And from high to low, do they need to warm up each time? Thanks

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i just put at set of VVME 55w 5000k in the hi beams of my car and i like them, I ordered a set for the lows and fog lights in 35w 5000k, nice white light, almost like daylight, they say the 4300k is the same as daylight

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Hey let me know when you get them installed, I really wanna know what happens when you switch between high and low beam! Since there is a warm up period for start up.

7. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

well they are going on my 05 malibu, which has the low beam on all the time, even with high beam, so i wont have a problem with the lights going out when switching from high to low. I would wire your lights to be dual burn if you are going to do this mod to them, and also you can use a bi-xenon kits which are made for high/low beam applications , I also plan on wiring my fog lights to stay on all the time

8. 20Silverado05

I have the high/low beam kit in my marauder . its a dual filament bulb and when i switch the highbeams on the bulb tilts and you have highbeams. If you have a separate bulb for high and separate for low than yes there is a needed warm up time for the bulb only like 3 seconds if the bulb is completely shut down

9. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys, im excited to get started on it but kit wont show up till mid of next week! Plus my whelen power supply showed up today so....I really miss my hide aways:(
    I may look into a bi-xenon kit, but I want to see how the low beam set up works first!

10. 20Silverado05

once you install the kit there will be no need for highbeams anymore trust me lol.

11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

12. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i dont see why not, should work if you have good power at the plow

13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

depends on the plow.....a western plow motor only runs when the plow moves...otherwise the wire is dead...

he'll have headlights ............just as long as he is moving the plow..LOL
    would work on a v-blade though as solenoid is plow mounted.

14. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

You are totally correct! Lol I didn't even think about that, the only way that would work is if I powered up relay before the solenoid. Im hoping I wont need the relay, but my HID kit should show up hopfully monday, and there's no real snow in the forcast till mid week, so I should have plenty of time.

15. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Wow ddm tuning just sent me a email to let me know my hid kit was sent out today, I ordered it on 12/21 I thought it would have been here already, not just shipped!

16. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

HELP!!! My HID kit showed up today, got it all hooked up, only drivers side works, so I pulled every thing from passenger side and pluged it into the drivers side and it works! Both balast and tubes/bulbs check out. I checked the voltage at the light and its 12.4 volts.

Any suggestions would be great!

17. 20Silverado05

Check and make sure the polarity is the right way at the connector going into the ballast.

18. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Not so sure what you mean? Is that the plug before truck lights (plow harness) I believe on my boss harness there is a white and a red wire that can be reversed. Is this what your talking about?

I have rechecked the voltage and its up to 12.8 volts on both sides.

Was also wondering if I needed to install a relay, but not 100% sure where to tap it into? Right by my plow harness relay pack(4)
    But I thought a relay was only needed if I didn't have enuff voltage?

19. 20Silverado05

The connector that you plugged into the ballast that originally plugged into the stock boss low beam light bulb is the connector im talking about. reverse that on the ballast and see if it works.

20. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Ok so the plug for the stock boss light, it only locks in 1 way, but I will try to plug it in backwards! This isn't gonna fry my balast????