1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Headlight Alignment

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Pitt4212, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Pitt4212

Pitt4212 Junior Member

Does anybody know the proper way to set the headlights. I just put new ones on and I parked the truck with the plow about 15 feet from my garage and had the low beams set so each light pointed directly in the center and about 4 feet from ground level but it doesn't seem correct. Was just wondering if anyone knew the correct way to set each headlight so you had optimal night vision. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Mine blow too.

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

LOL i was thinking the same thing tonight.

4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

when i install these new boss plows every day, the way we do it is part around 15-20ft from a wall, with the plow just alittle off the ground...turn the trucks low beams on. mark the center of the light on the wall with some tape, then switch to the plow lights and match them to the mark of where the trucks low beams were...works well and is how we as a dealer are told to do it.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks 91AK250 good info.

6. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

I'm gonna try that with mine, since no matter where I move them, they are never in the right place

7. bstout

bstout Member

I have tried most of the traditional alignment methods and dislike all of them. What has worked best for me is to get on a long, level straight stretch in the dark, take the wrench and put the headlights exactly where I want them. I go back and forth between high beam and low beam and just keep jocking with the adjustment until I'm happy.

I don't take my plow onto public roads often but I've never had anyone flash their brights at me because my headlights were blinding them.

Most of the time people will let you know. :realmad:

8. Pitt4212

Pitt4212 Junior Member

Thanks for the information. I actually did put my truck lights on then adjust my plow lights to the same height but the one thing I am not sure of is to you point each plow light towards the center so they both become one beam or do you keep them seperated like 5 feet apart from each other? When I check my truck lights I don't see two individual lights so it was hard to compare the two.??

9. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

The real question is how do we get them to stay where you put them?????????? The boss lighting is a poor setup. The only thing to disapoint me so far from them.

10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i have the much older set-up but mine stay where i put them no problem? just gotta get them really tight.

the brand new boss lights are really nice. they dont move much at all and are very easy to ajust.

there are hot spots about 4-5ft apart on the truck lights. so yes you want to have them apart..one spot in the center wont make much of a differance.

if all else fails like another guy said..just go out on a dark road and put them where you want...thats how i aim the hellas on my explorer and gets me the best beam pattern..do what works best for you and goodluck

11. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I finally got my lights to stay put. I drilled a hole in light bar, put a bolt through and adjust it up to the lights with 2 nuts. I also welded a flat piece of metal to the top of the nut which is not pictured. Here is the link to the pics. Scroll down past plow pics.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=69287

So far they have not moved yet this year.

12. flanny0104

flanny0104 Junior Member
    from indiana

in your manual it tells what you need to do and i think it say 20 or 25 feet form a wall, on a flat surface. the manual will tell you how high and how far for the right factory angle, but i find i like it better the way i set them. i get in the drivers seat focus where i look then with the lights point that one light at that spot. and so on with the next. good luck

13. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks man, Im going to give that a try. These headlights are starting to get on my nerves.