1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss headlight adjustment issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by oldstud, Jan 23, 2011.

1. oldstud

oldstud Junior Member
    from indiana

Some time ago b& b replied to a thread from davink about replacing adjustment bolt with plow bolts. My problem is after getting light taken apart i can not find plow bolts in Indianapolis, In.I've been to Lowes as well as three hardware stores. any ideas? I never thought finding these bolts would be this hard

2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I think a 1/2" carriage bolt will work

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

4. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Just use carriage bolts, stainless steel would probably be best.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Carriage bolts don't fit the pocket in the bracket correctly since they're not beveled under their head like a plow bolt is. It's tough enough to get them to stay put with plow bolts let alone using carriages that don't fit correctly so use the plows, that's what's in there now anyway. Fastenal is another source for them if you have one of those local.

When you reassemble the mounts to the light housings after replacing the bolts use stainless machine screws and nylon lock nuts on the inside to fasten them. Don't use rivets.

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

B&B why not use rivets?

Also I just did this to my boss lights and I found them at tractor supply, I bought enuff to do the job twice, so if you want to work something out on shipping I have 4 new plow bolts I can send. Shoot me a email if your interested.

yonssnowplowing@yahoo.com

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

if you use rivet's you might have to repete the whole removal again later ,plus alot easr to take apart later .:)

8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Already did on one side! I bought regular carriage bolts and it DID NOT WORK! so I had to drill out the new rivets on one of them, but I drilled out the new ones in only a few minutes so really no big deal to me.
    My only concern was that maybe I would have grounding issues.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For the reason Bill mentioned for one, plus bolts and nuts hold better. Rivets have a tendency to work loose because the plates can't be fully squeezed together since there's a layer of rubber to give in there. Bolts and nut hold tight and last forever.

10. oldstud

oldstud Junior Member
    from indiana

fastenal has plow bolts. if not in stock they will have them next day. also make sure to switch out all screws for lenses to stainless with anti seize on them

11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

here are a few links.
    If you have trouble getting your screws out of the bezel, use a heat gun to slightly heat up the plastic, they come out easily that way.
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/...efedb05e75429.e34RbhmQbxiOai0NbNb0rQjwqQzOnh4

http://www.nutsandbolts.com/bolts-plow-bolts-grade-8-c-31_165.html

Also I have 4 brand new 1/2'' x 2'' plow bolts left, no nuts or washers. I can send them for a shipping fee.