1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss headache

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mega10cab, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

So my plow is 2 months old. Pushed 3 storms so far. Always heard great things. I know things happen and some of it has to do with my local dealer. But so far I've had issues and it's starting to wear on me. Especially during our last storm which was 29hrs of plowing.

1. A week old and all 3 hoses that go to the pump were leaking at the top connections where they enter into housing at the black plastic. Took to dealer and they tightened them. So far so good.

2. Pump kept pushing fluid out at the vent cap behind the plastic cover. And lots of it. Leaked out the entire storm. Went to dealer and they claimed it was over filled. They said boss doesn't specify how much fluid goes in so they add until no more goes in. I find hard to believe and made no sense to me. To them it was not a problem and sent me on my way.

3. 2 weeks ago I noticed the handle on one of the pins that connected the plow to the truck was broken. Again, back to the dealer. They wanted to know what I did to break it... Plow has been off the truck for 2 weeks so you tell me. They said they've never had this many issues with a boss plow. They replaced the pin. By now I'm tired of going back.

4. During the second storm and this last storm I noticed I can't always get my plow to straighten back up at the end of my windrow to stack. I can hear something engaging but I either have to hold the button for 3-6 seconds or keep tapping it until it finally moves the blade. This has made plowing a pain to say the least. And the longer the storm goes on the worse it seems to get. Last storm was 29hrs of stack headache. I get to my pile, stop, wait for the plow to go straight, then start stacking.

So anyone else having issues? I've become not too fond of the dealer. The place is a freaking mess. Trashed showroom, shop is a disaster and they don't seem to care when I've had to go back. I really wanted a V blade but the price was more then I wanted. Now I wish I would've. Maybe it wouldn't have these issues. Maybe I got a Lemmon?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds to me like you've found your main issue. If this is how the public sees their shop, what's it like when you're not looking? Why not go to another dealer?
  3. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

I guess what frustrates me is their. 4 miles away. Close and convenient. Well seemed that way. Next time I'm there I'll take pictures. The place is trashed and **** scattered everywhere in the shop. But that also doesn't help the fact if broken or the plow not operating properly... Well it could if they didn't assemble properly but gives a bad rep to boss.

Next dealer is 40min away. And is affiliated with my local one. I've never been to the other one yet. Maybe it's better, maybe it's not.
  4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

WTH? Boss puts a sticker next to the fill tube showing proper fill level. Manual states how much it takes too. I've never seen any product not list amount of any type of fluid required for proper operation.

The way I see it you have 2 options find a new dealer or learn how to fix it yourself. Can't hurt to call Boss too and tell them they've got a clueless dealer out there bringing down the reputation of their fine product. Manufacturers can design and build excellent products, but that means nothing if they certify bozos as front line support.

The opposite is just as true, excellent dealer support can make up for sub par manufacturing.
  5. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Wish I would've gotten the DXT in the first place lol. I'm not hearing anyone with issues with them. Next free chance I have I'm going to go up to the other dealer and see what happens. I'm at the point now, that I either want it fixed or try to work a deal with boss on a trade up. The current issue with the blade not straightening up when it's time to stack is hampering my progress and work.
  6. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

29 hrs of plowing, single storm? Sounds like you have quite the route.

#1: If you can't tighten some hoses I'd never let you in one of my trucks.

#2: If you had the plow off the truck, why not take the front cover off and wash the excess fluid out? If they didn't give you an owners manual you can complain a little about that, but I'm guessing they did and you haven't read it. It does tell you how full to fill the port in Boss's manuals.

#3: Really, what did you hit? Or did some one else run into the plow while it was off? Those pins just don't break.

#4: I really don't care what someone's shop looks like, but I would agree with you that the show room/customer area should be presentable. Why did you choose this dealer? So close to home or price?

You really need to be able to take care of some simple things if you are going to continue to plow snow, nothing breaks when you can get to a dealers shop and chances are he isn't going to be able to get you in the door the second it does. Suck it up, read the manual and carry tools and replacement parts like the rest of us!
  7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

That sounds like a bad electrical connection to me. I recently had a similar problem with mine, looks like it was from some ice that got into the 13 pin plug.
  8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We had really wet heavy snow that's probably why you couldn't angle it straight to stack. There's a cross over relief that will prevent it from blowing something out.

I couldn't angle either. He'll it had problems picking the blade up a few times the snow was stuck on it lol
  9. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

I can tighten hoses, that's not the point. But a week old plow that hadn't been used yet... I'm not touching it. So I took it back.

I know how the cover comes off etc and how to clean things but again a brand new plow shouldn't be leaking, from anywhere. I read the manual, it doesn't say it should be leaking fluid out.

I didn't hit a damn thing. If the pins don't break, then why do they sell replacement ones? Or why do those pins come in the Repair kit????

I chose them because their 4 miles away. Price was pretty darn good too. I work on all my own stuff. My trucks get solely worked on by me, besides this plow install , my motorcycle only gets worked on by me. I know how to wrench. I'm not an idiot. The guy who owns this place is also the installer. He gives his number to his plow customers so during snow storms if you have an emergency you can call him. I carry tools and repair kit in my truck.

What I'm saying is, for being basically brand new, why the problems already?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I wouldn't call a plow used 3 times, especially one storm for 29 hours new. If you had the installers number during this 29 hour fiasco of not being able to stack snow, why didn't you call him?
    If you read the manual, you would have seen where it says how to fill the oil reservoir properly.
    The plow lock pins are just not going to break without hitting something or being hit. They are hardened and something else will give before they do.

As for not reading the part in the manual about the oil leaking out, well I'll give you that one, but if it was leaking without being used, when you tested it at the dealership, why didn't you notice this?
  11. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

The number is for emergency plow repair etc. I didn't have an emergency. The plow worked, just not as it should. I told them it was BS that boss doesn't say how much fluid it takes. I never put any fluid in it, so even though I know how to properly fill, doesn't help the fact that it was leaking. I first noticed the leak the 2nd time putting it on the truck. I needed to move the plow. When I hooked it up and raised it, it started pouring out. And it wasn't the pin itself. It was the oval handle part of the pin. Me here the weld is on the handle by the large center pin, it was cracked through the weld. I'm also one to take responsibility so if I broke it, I would not have taken it back. I didn't notice the leak at the dealer because it wasn't leaking then.
  12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I wouldn't worry about it so much just make sure breather is installed right.

Same thing with angling. Trying to angle a atraight blade with heavy snow doesn't work out to good.

I usually just drop everything in front of pile and then push it straight up every couple runs
  13. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

That's what I ended up doing dropping everything before the piles then every few runs stacking it. Not the end of the world Just annoying
  14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Any blade is going to have that problem very rarely do we get that much heavy snow at one time. We were plowing the main drives with 3 trucks wide just to keep up till the loaders were running. By the time we started on parking lots I couldn't see the curbs lol

I wouldn't worry about a v. And an expandable is a better option for us
  15. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

This last storm my plow would not move the wing with snow in front of it. When the snow is this heavy I don't even try to stack it, way to much stress on parts and I do not think it is worth it. I only do driveways and stack when I can but at the same time I do not want to kill my truck and plow. If I have to use a tractor to stack then I bill for it.
  16. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Towards the end of the storm we were just making piles wherever. Came back the next day with the skid steer and hauled truck loads away.
  17. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I just did 29 hours here in NYC (literally!) Interesting... Boss Plow - Straight Blade too.

A few things:
    -Call BOSS immediately - Customer Service is beyond reproach. They are truly unbelievable. And stick with it.
    -The Showroom can be a Sh*t-Hole. It shouldn't be, but if they tell me Boss did not tell us how much fluid goes in there, so we just filled it - that is a MAJOR RED FLAG.
    -Agree that a new plow should not crap the bed like that.
    -I'm not throwing stones - so just take it point by point and get satisfaction.
    (Sounds the like the thing was wired back-asswards!...and it may be with that fluid comment!)
  18. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hey - fwiw, when I got my plow new, it took some figuring out. There was a little back and forth with the dealer, and a lot of learning on my part. Watching the marketing videos produced by Dodge and Boss, you'd think you could push Mt. Everest at 30 mph... Truth is - it doesn't work that way. I've almost bought two entire plows learning that lesson. The Boss product is nice, and since I have learned how to use it without breaking it, it runs a long time with very little intervention, and gives me a lot of options for moving the snow around. I can do a lot with it, but I need to be patient and somewhat gentle, and if something isn't working, I have to not try to force it.

Bottom line is pushing a 9' plow on a 10k# truck leads to forces building up in a hurry, and the system is designed to encourage you to not break stuff. In my experience, if the plow or truck argues about what you're asking it to do, find another method, unless you like fixing stuff during snow storms.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

1 2 4 Are the dealers problems. It is to bad that the close one is no good. Mine here is great.
    3 " I noticed the handle on one of the pins that connected the plow to the truck was broken." This is a BOSS problem. I have two V plows and both of them have done this to both handles. The crack right at the weld. I just welded them back up. They must vibrate allot, mine have not been hit or abused in any way. Weld must be brittle.
  20. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Spoke with BOSS directly. Great people to deal with BTW. They were not happy about the way the dealer has handled my issues. And what really irritated them was the fact that my dealer said BOSS doesn't Say how much fluid it holds. That's being handled by them. The issue with the handles breaking on the pins is an issue BOSS knows about and they couldn't understand why my dealer tried to blame me since it's a known flaw with the new welding spot. The issue with the blade not straightening is hard to say. It could be the pressure relief because there's too much snow and the friction against the ground, or could be a different issue. I will be taking it to a distributor up the road to have looked at. The district manager for this area will be I'm contact with me after visiting the dump of a dealer I've been using. I may look into trading mine in for a V. I could really use a V in a few of my lots. But being such a new blade I don't want to take a big loss on money with trading in. I'll update when I talk to the DM.