1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss fluid problem??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Dec 15, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just wondering if anyone here has had issues with Boss' hydraulic fluid??

Or if my dealer is trying to cover something they did.

I bought 2 new plows in April of last year.

This winter, one plow wouldn't go up while in scoop mode, found it was over 1 qt low on fluid. Now I realize that isn't Boss' fault, more like the dealer / my own fault.

Second plow, tower wouldn't raise to the truck with the switch. Finally diagnosed to having water in the lines / icing, drained all fluid and has worked so far.

Now last night the plow on the first one quit working, sloooowwwwly died out, much like if you had a flashlight left on, the light would sloooowwwwllly dim out.

Got to the point where I couldn't even lift the plow anymore. I always love when stuff breaks with 5" of snow on the ground and you're 2 hours behind where you'd like to be on the schedule.

Anyways, I was thinking it was the fluid low again, that maybe it was blowing it out somewhere when I was plowing. Made a quick scan and didn't see any fluid on the snow on the plow anywhere, or on the plow itself, so I figured I'd pull the plug on the fill tube on the side and check that.

Wouldn't you know...... "SNAP", fill tube in my hand, fluid all over the parking lot. Why did they put a plastic piece on a piece of equipment that's quite major if you need to put fluid in?? Especially when it's obvious you're going to be using the plow below freezing outside.

Anyways, my dealer has said they've had some issues with fluid, so he's going to try a different brand this time. IMO, the motor's shot, but he's going to try the new fluid first.

The reason I don't think it's a fluid problem, is because you could hear the motor slowing down like the battery is dying, but everything else in the truck was working fine, including all gages.

Anyone with any ideas?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Question, did you flush and fill the plows before you put them into service this year?

Plows will collect moisture through condensation while sitting in the off seasons, have seen up to a pint in one plow from 4 months of sitting, that much water is to much for the plow fluid to keep from freezing. The sound of the pump dying was more than likely it trying to suck in a filter screen thats totally plugged with ice, its like trying to suck that thick malt through a straw, after a little bit, your going to sound like your dying if you dont quit or get something through the straw.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

No, I did not flush them, since the plow was mounted on the truck and brought home and parked.

They were both brand new and I've never had an issue with condensation before in anything hydraulic.

I've not had it with my Western plows, Diamond plows, Hiniker plow or Leo plow.

It does sound like that's what it is, but this is the third snow event I've been running it, and it was after about 20 hours of plowing in the last 2 days.
  4. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hey! Which fluid you using? I never had problem with Meyers fluid (running Boss V), no noise and allways smooth even when plow is cold.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

I should have stated in my original post it was Boss' stock fluid, what comes in a new plow.
  6. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

I'm not sure about Boos fluid, I got my plow used and flushed it Meyers. I would compare fluids which one is thinner and I know that Meyers has antifreeze on it also.
  7. shark1955

shark1955 Junior Member

Have you tried Boss high performance fluid? It works better at lower temps that the stock fluid.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

No, since it was the 3rd time out with a brand new plow, I was THINKING the fluid that comes with your NEW plow should be good to go.

Obviously, since the plow is tore down and sitting at the shop, with no one in the area being able to get a new pump / motor for 2 weeks, I won't be able to try the "high performance" fluid.
  9. mole

mole Senior Member

I have found the same thing with the boss dealers, there quick to sell you but slow to service you, and they all have an attitude. My boss has been leaking for days now. I have taken to the dealer in my area and they won't even come out side to look at it. Then I broke one of the solenoid's in the harness, of course the one that works the smart hitch agian they won't look at it and tell me to buy a new harness and put it on my self, I have no clue on how to do this, thank god the plow works but i have to take it on and off manually. I wish I still had my western never had any problems with them for six years. Had to get the boss it was on the truck when I bought it. Plus you can never tell if your full of fluid that stupid valve system is ridiculous. I wish boss would start a forum like Western did.
  10. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

For oil - go to Esso/Mobile and buy yourself a case or a 20 litre pail of J13. Don't balk at the price - it is the price of good oil. Change it in October.

Mole - your problem may be the switch on the tower - they do not like the elements. It is all of about a 5 minute job to change the switch once you get your hands on one. They seem to last about 3 years.
  11. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Oh - I just remembered. If it is your motor that is lugging down, there is a pretty good chance that the shaft seal on the pump-to-motor connection is leaking oil into the motor. To get you going if you do not have a new seal: pull the motor, clean the brushes so they contact well again, and then do this: Orient the motor so that you can see which side is down. Now take a round file, such as a chainsaw file, and file a drain hole in the edge of the motor case right at the bottom, about 1/8" or so deep. You must let the oil get out,or it will continue to foul the brushes and cause your motor to die. This trick has kept my dump trailer going for 8 years, after spending money on 3 seal replacements and a shaft rebuild. Just dont forget to regularly check the oil level
  12. LwnmwrMan22

Sorry, but I'm not doing all that on a plow that's been used 3 times. Boss gets to warranty this one.

I WILL however, if I can locate, buy an extra pump / motor so I have one on hand. I'd be SOL if it were snowing right now, since I usually need 2 plows running to get everything going before they open.

I'd rather pay $500 for a new pump / motor assembly in my garage than have my plow sitting in someone else's garage losing $5k or more.
  13. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

My Boss dealer is awesome. I have had only a couple minor problems with my plow but they fixed them fast and never charged me a penny even after the warranty was up. I think they have about 3 certified Boss technicians and even stay open late during storms to make repairs. I was at their shop one time at 10:00pm having something fixed. I love my Boss and my dealer. Steel City Mower and Plow in Pittsburgh.
  14. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I gave you the advice on a "to get you going" basis. If you prefer to be down for two weeks waiting for someone else to help you with replacement parts (on principle), well that's fine. Glad I'm not your customer
  15. LwnmwrMan22

I didn't mean to be arrogant or the such, sorry if I came across that way.

Turns out the entire motor is fried, much like if there were no fluid running to it at all.

My dealer'll have another pump / motor assembly tomorrow, surprising how fast people locate parts when you walk into the store instead of just calling. :dizzy:
  16. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Ok - no problem