1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS employee vs SnowPlowers

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Gideon, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Gideon

Gideon Junior Member

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew-Cab

I was told by a couple members I could put a standard-duty on my truck

However, I was told by a BOSS employee ..."it appears that due to “limited clearance at the front bumper, this is a Sport Duty Application only”. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to recommend a Standard Duty for you. For additional discussion or possible options, please feel free to call BOSS Service at 906-776-3500."

Does Anyone know if there is a difference in install??

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

not sure bud, but the only difference "usually" in the standard vs super duty 7'6" plows is the mount portion of the plow itself is a little thinner gauge.. the mount on the truck is the same i believe.

In your case, going from s standard to a sport... i dont know how the mount on the truck end would be any different either. Ask a local dealer and see what they say, im sure with some trimming of all the under cladding wind deflection crap on the trucks these days you'll get a 7'6" standard duty on it, you really dont want anything less lighter duty than that on a half ton truck anyway.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I believe the sport duty has a different mount. We have one on an 06 tundra and it is far smaller than the one on our chevy 2500HD that we run a 7'6" super duty trip edge on. Both nice plows though.

4. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The mount for the sport duty is a different mount from the standard duty. The frame of the plow is narrower on the sport duty, where as the standard duty mount is the same mount used for straight and v-plows. The hooks are smaller on the sport duty mount too.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss doesn't even make a mount for your truck for anything except the Sport Duty- therefore making a choice between one and a Standard Duty null and void.

6. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

B&B:

I wonder why that is? They made a standard duty for my Chevy 1/2 ton, why wouldnt BOSS think a Dodge 1/2 ton couldn't handle the same? ( I'm NOT starting a who's truck is better flame, just curious )

7. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

It probably has little to do with the truck capabilities (Dodge is as good as any in my book) as much as the crush zone designs and such. 1500's just aren't designed with plowing in mind. They're a recreational truck really.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They do not have enough front axle capacity since their weight balance is different from a Ford or GM (not that all of their trucks will accept one either) thus they can't remain under the max FAWR with anything more than a Sport Duty. As most know 1/2 tons have been getting lighter and lighter at every chassis change until they just can't legally carry much plow anymore. This is the whole reason so many of the plow manufactures have had to promote or release new lightweight plows, otherwise they'd have zero applications for the newer 1500 trucks.

9. Gideon

Gideon Junior Member

Thanks for the answers, it all helps... has anybody known/heard somebody who modified their truck (drilling holes) to accept the heavier mount?

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know why some one would push their luck in that manner. Besides being hard on the truck and probably ruining it in short order, it's just not safe. Trade in the new 1/2 ton on a used 3/4 ton and then get the plow you want.

11. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

You can kiss that brand new warranty goodbye if you ever have an issue. They don't take to drilling holes in frames to well.

Not only that...think about what happens when you wrap that big arse thing up in under the front end. Eww. Buy what's designed to go together.

12. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

Same thing happened to me back in 2007 I bought a new body style chevy 1500 and asked the dealer where I got it from if the boss 7'6" ploy that was on the 2001 that I traded in would work and they told me yes about 6 months after I bought it went to a boss dealer to get the under carriage and light harness put on and they told me the same thing. I was so pissed at the dealer I went back and almost got arrested for threatening the manager. Needless to say found a 2500 with more options and less $.

13. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Was there that much of a difference in the 2007 compared to the 2009? I had the plow you speak of on my 2009, and now on my 2011.

14. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

the short bed reg cab chevy 1500 can legally carry a full size standard dusty boss.. that is why the mounts are made. I think no matter what configuration, the dodge cannot carry more than a sport duty. :salute:

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drilling holes has nothing to do with it:dizzy: As B&B stated only without the jargon, The 1500 trucks will not pass the FVMSSA standards with a larger plow particularly the 105 brake certification. Add that to steadily decreasing brake, frame, axle and suspension capabilities, the Federal government's limits on weights of both plow and the constantly carried additions (mounts, harness, etc,) the truck manufacturers lack of a plow prep package (their way of telling you they didn't design the truck for that purpose) the plow manufacturers cannot rate the heavier plows for lighter trucks without opening themselves up to ill-numerable lawsuits.

Your dealer is in the same place as the manufacturer, he is held to a higher standard, considered responsible for knowing the regulations and limits unlike the end user who is considered ignorant. So it boils down to if you want to overload your truck with a plow it is not rated for your vehicle are on your own, BOSS, any (smart) dealer will not install/recommend an unapproved plow on your truck.

If you want to overload it you will have to make the parts and install it yourself or find someone unaware of the liability they will assume to install it for you.

16. Gideon

Gideon Junior Member

Thanks guys.. this was the reply back from BOSS.

"Thank you for contacting THE BOSS Snowplow. Our plow applications follow the recommendations of the truck manufacturers. In some instances, certain blades will exceed the front axle rating of the truck and they will not show up on our Plow Selector Tool. This may be due to a larger cab style or heavier engine or combination of the two. The plowers you are talking to may have similar vehicles and may understand why the plow is not recommended but believe the vehicle can still handle the weight. If they are familiar with what the truck can handle, they may choose to disregard our recommendations and put a blade on that may be too heavy. They may have, in some way, made the truck more ready for snowplow use by raising the front axle rating, adding Timbrens or other options.

In these instances, the customer does run the risk of voiding any warranty on the vehicle itself. Blades that are too heavy will significantly change your braking ability, will weigh heavily on your truck’s suspension and may, over time, pose other issues. Any time a customer chooses to install a blade that is not recommended we implore them to do so with caution."

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So there you go. Install a sport duty or buy a different truck.

18. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

not sure I was told that they didn't make a mount for that truck at that time and it was only 6 months old really didn't want to push the warrantee on a brand new truck.