1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Electrical ??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ChuckG, Dec 10, 2005.

1. ChuckG

ChuckG Junior Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum.
    I have a Boss Standard Duty plow new to me this year. Hooked it up fine and my headlights on the plow worked. Plowed for about 2 hours with it and the head lights went out but the directionals stayed on. When I shut the toggle switch off my truck lights turn on and off fine.
    I tried un-plugging the plow electrical harness and plugged back in and still NG.
    HELP ??????

Also, when plowing about 4-6 inches of snow the plow kept flipping down. I was plowing on flat asfault pavement with no defects. Am I supposed to be adjusting the springs on the plow ????????????
  2. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Plow trips?

Chuck- can't help you with the light problem but just tighten your trip springs on the blade a bit and it will trip less often.Do them all the same though.When I tighten mine, I measure the length of the bolt on each one to make sure they are all reasonably the same.Good Luck on the lights. Someone on here will respond and help you out.Good bunch of guys here!!
  3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

As far as the spring adjustment goes, you should be able to slide a regular sheet of notebook paper between the coils. Dunno much about headlights tho.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Spring tension varies with each spring. Measure by tightening until you can slip a matchbook cover or business card between the coils freely on all springs.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

O.K. back to the lights. cheek the fuse, some times there is a separate fuse box, it could have a Heila relay in it too. Then remove one light and cheek the plug, is it loose.
    Next turn the lights on and cheek for voltage at the plug you can do this with a meeter or get a new light and try it. Then of you still have no lights fallow the wires From the light back look for loose or broken wires.
    It's passable you shook the lights so hard they both blew:dizzy:
  6. FianoLawn

FianoLawn Junior Member

You say the plow is new to you. How old is it? I think I had the same problem as you with my older plow. What size is it? We ended up fabricating a bracket to accomidate 4 tension springs. Most of the time you will notice that it happens when the bottom layer of snow turns to slush and then refreezes. It causes alot of drag on the plow. As far as the lighting problem your just going to have to get a meter and trace down the problem.
  7. Sod God 1

Sod God 1 Junior Member

I had a similar problem, my head lights on the truck and plow would stay on for a while then all of a sudden turn on and off constantly. It ended up being my main head light switch. I had too much power going to the switch. That could be the problem, it was a cheap and fast fix.
  8. sierra02

sierra02 Junior Member

The highbeams on my plow went and they worked fine on the truck. I traced it down to the toggle switch. I replaced the toggle switch and everything works fine now.
  9. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

It is probably relays. Next time if you have same problem, try to tap on them (not too hard!) See if this helps and findout which one is giving you a problem and change it. Or you can get spare one and try to swap each one when it happens.