1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss electrical question (rt3 smartlite2)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by IC-Smoke, Nov 29, 2011.

1. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

I just finished installing the wiring on my 05 dodge Ram, I just played around to check things out and when you switch the plow lights to "plow" then turn the high beams on I get a clicking noise out of one of the relays (5 relay bank) and I get a LAMP OUT light on the dash. I dont have the plow hooked up, is it just due to the fact that I dont have the plow hooked up or is a wire a miss?

Thanks
    Ian

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First thing is to not switch the truck/plow lamp switch while the headlamps are actually on and never flip it to the plow position without the plow plugged in. Dodges TIPM sees it as a short/blown bulb and will do all kinds of weird things. Only flip the switch while the headlamps are off. There is a reflash available for the 05-06 trucks to make the TIPM "behave" better with add on equipment but it's proven to be hit or miss whether it actually helps on a per truck basis. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't but you still must have the headlamps off when flipping the switch regardless so make an important note of it.

Make sure you also have the red/white wire with the inline fuse connected to the positive battery terminal. Installers often connect it to the negative terminal therefore causing lighting issues.

3. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Thanks B&B! Thumbs Up I do have the red/white to the positive. I'm in the middle of mounting the bracket so hopefully it will hook up with no electrical issues.:eek:

4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Got it hooked up and all is working but it seems like something is draining my batteries? I made sure to tap into a key on source... This morning it was pretty much dead, and today sticking on the plow mount it took a minute to fire up :confused: after this snow Ill have my batteries checked but could it be something with the wiring? I havent had any issues before this.

Thanks
    Ian

photo:
    [​IMG]

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What did you tap into for your keyed ignition source? The ONLY location Dodge recommends is the red power port/cigarette lighter wire. Other places cause issues.

6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

I tapped into the red wire (cig plug) like you commented about. a little hard to get to with the auto start wiring mess but I found it.

Turns out it was my batteries. Drivers side battery was beyond junk and the passenger side battery wasnt going to last much longer. Two new Interstates and the truck doesnt skip a beat on start up.

Problem solved! Thanks!

Ian

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've run into "coincidences" like that myself a couple times and it's due to running the plow/lamps too much during final checks on battery's that are (unbeknown to you) on their last breath anyway. Good you have the keyed ignition wire in the right place now though regardless. :salute: