1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss electric help please!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Indy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have a RT3, smart II, 7'-6" Superduty

I went out today and plow worked fine plowed 10 locations and then I lost left and right??

The plow lifts fine/Down is fine, just stuck left, last snow it was stuck right.

I would tell you I am a smart guy but I DON"T get it and I need your help.

Mike C:salute:
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it stuck to the right before and now it's stuck left I'd be highly suspicious of a contaminated or damaged angle valve.

But as a preliminary test you should still check the coil on the angle valve for magnetism first to be sure the command is there.

Of the two coils on the angle valve, the one with the blue/green wires is your angle left coil. Thus the one you want mag on when the left function is pressed.
  3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Thanks BB for the support:salute:
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help Indy..:)

Generally the Boss's dont have contamination issues with the valves like some of the other brands so more than likely the spool in the angle valve is slightly bent or damaged from impacts while plowing. Doesn't usually happen all at one time, normally takes repeated impacts over a long period of time.
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

.........I think I go to the local boss dlr and get one and swap it just to make sure I am good to go. It's kinda funny cause I can't duplicate it. It can be hot or cold or early in my route or late and it craps out. Thanksfully when it stuck I had enough angle to push snow off to the side on my last 3 stops

I'll swap it in the morning!!

Thanks again BB
  6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

just to complete the post it was a bad ground on the L/R stacked hydo valve. They gave me a price of $30 for the coil and 60 for the valve; then the service guy said he wanted to see what it was doing, he put a temporary jump wire on the ground to the frame and plow worked fine, before I could talk to him about it, he went in the shop made a jumper wire grabbed some tools and put it on for me ........for free. Plow has been flawless since.

Thanks Midstate!
  7. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I just had that happen a week ago... The 13 pin connector was loose. Some snow must have landed on it and it was not unplugged, but was seperated a little. Was just enough to drive me nuts, cause it started acting goofy 3/4 of the way through my route.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Diddo :dizzy:
  9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

The moral of the story here is check to make sure your ground wires are grounded,

Thanks for the assit BB:salute: