1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss DXT on gravel?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Fjtort2, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Might be picking up a long gravel driveway for an account.
    DXT any good with gravel? Dual trip may mess with it?
    Thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just lift the plow just a littel untill the weight is off of the ground , when the ground is not frozen yet
    Once it's frozen just plow it's you would anyother drive.

3. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

If it is uneven at all, put your shoes on. With it being a ram lift it will dig into soft ground fairly easy, even with it lifted.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Then the shoes would dig in even farther.....
    Leaving ruts and a pile of gravel...

Ram or chain lift it makes no difference.
    Weight taken off is weight taken off.

Some times I'll lift it untill is off of the ground a inch....
    Befor the ground is frozen to avoid making a mess of the drive.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Explain?.....

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Whaaaaaaaaaaat. Huh?

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Send them a bill for regrading their drive every time you plow, charge extra for a couple yards of gravel...

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Back drag, it also saves forward gears

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I am also waiting for an explanation...........:eek:

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Physics, what comes up, must come down?

11. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

When you lift up the plow an inch or so you take it out of float mode. It will the dig into any uneven areas that the plow comes into contact with. With a chain lift you can raise it up an inch or so and it is still in float.

12. dieselss

And how does the lift system make any difference

13. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Im fairly certain that even once you lift the plow an inch it will still float up, just not down, its just like if you lift a little pushing into a bank but take your finger off the button, it will ride the bank up...

14. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Never mind. I'm done

15. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Ever seen a flat gravel drive? I haven't. A plow is designed so while plowing the wt of the snow puts greater pressure downward on the blade. The truck has suspension that moves up and down as you drive. The plow loads and unloads at unpredictable rates. How do you hold a plow that 6 ft in front of the axle 1 inch off the gravel on what's describe as a long drive while going fast enough to roll snow and turn a profit. Let me tell you. It doesn't work. You skip and dig your way along. It sucks but that's the way it works until frost sets in. Then it's like plowing rough asphalt. Set your price accordingly.

16. dieselss

That's not an explanation.

17. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Hmm .. The driveway is fairly easy( lot of places to put snow) only need to back drag by garage doors (that part is paved). Just really don't want to damage the blade or the dual trip edge. Not sure if it's worth the hassle.
    The client knows I can't do a quality job on gravel with a blade, so maybe worth a shot?

18. dieselss

You should be fine. As was said...drop the blade, then bump it up a few times.
    Watch your "angle" and your trailing edge will be lower then the leading. So don't go full lock either direction.

19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I used to do almost a mile long pea stone drive......Like Dieseless said bump it up a tad and pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine.....Do not try to plow down to the stone....The customer is gonna have to live with a quarter to half inch of snow on their drive

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A direct lift plow will float up the same as a chain lift, it isn't locked in place if that's what you thought.