1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss DXT for residential driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by YukonJ4270, Dec 7, 2015.

1. YukonJ4270

YukonJ4270 Junior Member

Anyone out there running a 9'2" Boss Dxt for residential snow removal? I'm mainly looking to see how well they back drag. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I only have one storm on mine, but it worked pretty good for back dragging, our snow was wet and heavy.

3. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Probably kind of overkill if it's just for driveways but hey, go big or go home. With that said, they bag drag pretty well assuming that it comes with the locking cylinders. I wouldn't waste money getting a bag drag blade put on it or anything like that.

4. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have 3 Boss DXT 9 footers, and they are about as good as you can do with a blade for back dragging. We plow 130 residential drives, split between 5 trucks, so I think it is safe to say that the DXT is not overkill in the residential market!

5. skorum03

The OP didn't give much info on what it was used for. My first thought wasn't that he was doing 100+ driveways. If he was doing that much snow already I would assume he could answer the question he asked. Obviously if you do 130 drives the DXT is not overkill.

My girlfriend's dad bought a DXT for his own personal driveway. He travels a lot and I often times end up plowing their driveway myself with my own equipment. So in that case, it's overkill.

6. YukonJ4270

YukonJ4270 Junior Member

Here's a little more info...this will be my 11th year in the biz and yes we have about 110 residential drives and 5 decent sized commercial lots. When I first started I had a couple of flat top v plows and then switched over to straight blades with swinging back drags due to the lack of back dragging on the v plows. Our straight blades work great for the drives but slow us down on the lots (snow must be piled in designated areas). I tried a vxt a couple of years back but was still unimpressed with the lack of back dragging. Since the dxt came out I've been lurking around and hearing that they scrape and back drag much better than the older v's. I'm just trying to get some real world information from people that have used them on residential drives. All of my trucks run Boss, so switching brands is not an option. If only Boss would make a power winged plow! Thank you for the info guys and keep it coming!

7. skorum03

In that case, I would go with the DXT. Everyone that has them loves them.

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have one DXT and 3 VXT. All 9'2" plows. They all have Smartlock cylinders. They do alright unless you have ridiculously wet/heavy snow at which point I have had them fail to hold their position. The DXT outshines the VXT simply because it is heavier. Without looking it up, I don't know how much heavier, but it is noticeable depending on the truck. I traded out my operators so they could try it. Some of our trucks did not like it. Our F350 with Timbrens sagged too much with the DXT. It really surprised me. The 2000 and 2006 Dodge 3500s with Timbrens did fine. The F550 did fine.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

The difference between DXT and VXT is 83 lbs. Hard to believe that that little weight difference makes that much of a difference back dragging. But I could be wrong.

10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

DXT vs VXT other than 80lbs and the trip edge - Trip edge benefits you when plowing forward, nothing to do with back dragging.

If you weren't happy with the VXT due to back dragging, the DXT ain't gonna make you any happier.

Even the cheapest back blade will make you do you better, an Ebling or that type even more so.

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We have all Boss blades, vees. We bought one DXT for plowing roads that have manhole covers that sometimes trip the blade and it works beautiful for that.

I personally don't like the DXT anywhere that you don't have to worry about tripping it and there's a chance of hard pack - the blade chatters too much but that's what it's designed to do.

12. YukonJ4270

YukonJ4270 Junior Member

Thanks for all your input! Looks like it's about a 50/50 split, so I think I'm going to stay where I'm at for now. I hope that Boss comes out with a power winged plow soon, I know I'd buy at least 3 of them! Please be listening Boss!

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

This is the third season with Boss wings on my 8'2 V, they are never removed. And the truck does mainly resi's and some are pretty tight but never an issue.

If you want to move more snow, add the wings to the plows you already have if you haven't already. Can't beat 10' of blade. Especially back dragging, she pulls out a lot of snow. I also have an 8' Daniels on the back for wet heavy snow, it too was worth the money.