1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss draws alot and wont turn when plowing help maybe

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tguenthardt, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tguenthardt

tguenthardt Junior Member

I have a newer Boss Rt3, it seems to draw alot of juice from my truck when plowing. It also does not want to turn back to center when you are rolling snow to one side or the other. If you stop and back up to take the pressure of from it it will work normal. Once you start rolling a drive way and you want to turn plow back to center to stack into the pile it will not. Does this even if snow is light or heavy has not effect on it. My truck is a 05 2500hd extend cab, plow prep package, new red top optima battery as well. Any help would be great.

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

upgrade your red and black power cables with #2 welding wire and add a second battery if you can or high output alternator and you should be in better shape

3. tguenthardt

OK I am still having trouble with this plow, still can not figure it out.....any help, check the main power wires and they are good.

4. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

More Battery Power

You are one battery short . Two batterys is pretty much mandatory with the big Boss plows . Scrub your power cable connections , I use a bore brush for cleaning rifles on them ( .30 Cal. ) and put dilectric grease on them . Also check both ends of your ground connections on the truck , battery at engine block and engine to frame . I've been having the same problems , with two batterys but my Alt. is lame . Today she gets a new 140 Amp Alt. , which is an upgrade I should have done years ago . The 105 Amp that's standard or the 125 on the plow prep package on GM trucks gets worked real hard trying to maintain two batterys . Make sure your plow hydraulic fluid is topped off too . I'll post my results later today !
    Mike

5. tguenthardt

I have never had a problem with just one battery, I have been plowing for 15 plus years and most all of my trucks run one battery and I have never had a proble with them. I will double check all wire and clean all the grounds, power ect. on my truck as well as the plow side, thanks for the info. I will let you know how it goes

6. cosgo

cosgo Member

I just had the same problem on a brand new plow. turns out the cap on top of the pump fluid tank was loose, and i was loosing fluid very slowly until finally i was having the same exact problem with turning while under a load. refilled, tightened cap, and all was well

7. UnitedB

UnitedB Junior Member
    from SLC, UT

How old is the plow? It is possible the brushes are worn out and you just need a new motor. When the brushes are at the end of their useful life the motor will sometimes still work but slowly and will draw a lot of current.

8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Well didn't get the Alternator in today . Had to order an adapter to switch from one plug to another . Maybe Wed. or Thu. . Now watch it start snowing !

9. Titan Landscape

Titan Landscape Junior Member

Where is a good place to get one of those higher amp alternators for a reasonable price?

10. tguenthardt

The plow is only 4 or 5 years old, has not seen a ton of plow time either. I hope to work on it this weekend.

11. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I've been running 1 battery GM's for a long time. Heater on, radio on, light bar on, wipers on, lights on & a 9'2" V hanging off the front, never had an issue.

It sounds like a motor issue, even if the plow hasn't been used alot, the sitting over the summer collects moisture.

12. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Napa if you have them out there.

13. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I ordered the adaptor from Quality Power . You can Google or Bing them and their site will come right up . I think shipping is free on orders of $150 or more . I wish I'd found them a day sooner and known I needed that adapter ! They have an awsome inventory of anything you need electrical and the knowledge to help you get it done ! My auto parts guy could sell me an alternator and that's where his knowledge ended . Now we both know that Delco part no W1206 ties it all together . Good parts men are few and far between these days !