1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss down pressure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris k, Jan 19, 2005.

1. chris k

chris k Senior Member

To all you that run Boss snow plows, do you have greater down pressure than Fisher. Any Boss plow that I have seen the piston is upside down. :dizzy: So when you lower the plow you acually pushing the piston ou where as with the Fisher you are pushing the piston in. I am going to get rid of my oldest truck and am thinking about going with the Boss on my new one.
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I have a boss plow and the piston lets out under the plows own wieght, not hydrolic power. I dont think that boss or fischer have any actual down pressure. But i might be wrong , this is what i know though.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have had 2 meyer plow's and 4 wetsterns.

1st year having a Boss SD.
    Has the hand held remote,the best thing since sliced bread, and found if I hold the down button for 7 secs it turns from green to red and the ram is activated and has down force from the ram. If it is green it is in float and will rise up over smalll hills and what not.
  4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Unless Boss made a change this year, they do not have down pressure.As for the lift cylinder being (upside down), There is no such thing as a hyd. cylinder being upside down,they operate equally in either direction.
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

on my boss , when the controller is red , its in float mode. brand new controller. Never heard of a boss having down pressure
  6. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

when u hold the Down button that plow lock is down mode, and its little better that just having it down, but the blade is heavy so its pretty much scrapes good

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Then when you go over a hump or handicap ramp you leave mounds of snow?

If it is clean and staying on the ground over a hump or ramp it has down pressure. If it <b> floats </b> and leaves a pile then it is in float. Going up a entrance into a company most are inclined a bit. If your truck goes up an into the flat lot and you have a clean line then the ram has down force. If it floats up with the truck at the top of the hill and leaves a small pile then it is in float.

The down force is enough to push the front end up a bit on mine. The plow is a 99 Boss Super Duty. This is my plow and anyone close to Kalamazoo is welcome to meet up and see.
  8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Your truck lifting is the weight of the plow coming off of your truck, and transfering to the ground. the reason you would leave a pile coming over a hill like that is because the plow is not in float mode and is locked in its position. so it will no drop down(float) over the hill.
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

when you hold the down button and it turns red, it is in float mode. this means it floats or follows the contour of the ground. if an incline or decline is too steep the plow might not be able to follow. either the a frame hits or you run out of travel on the up/down cylinder.
  10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Thank you.
  11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Your theory is bass ackwards.
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

So what you're saying is,if you are in a lot. Drop the blade on pavement. Light is green,locked,in your words. It should clear down to pavement all the way across.

In your float mode you say the blade follows the contour of the pavement. Without down force it would rise on ice bumps and packed snow. Weight alone will not hold it down at 15-20 mph over packed snow.

Down force will keep it on pavement scraping clean the lot at 15-20 mph.

If you are doing 50 degree ,or more, inclines and reaching the point of cylinder max. then you need different equipment to do that area.

Float= floats over obstacles.
    Down locked =stays at that height at all times.
    Down pressure= scrapes clean.

I ain't from Mo. But Show me otherwise.
  13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Boss Does Not Have Down Pressure
  14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I give up , sorry for trying to help. :cry:
  15. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Float as you are referring to does not mean the plow is "floating off the ground" it means the hydraulic cylinder is in "float" mode allowing the hydraulic cylinder/plow to move freely over any obstacles encountered without being "locked" in one position. As the others have said Boss does not have DP (other than the DP created by the 800lbs the plow weighs) only Snoway has DP as they have it patented. :nod:
  16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

How many discussions and arguments are there going to be about this? :angry: Can't anybody get it through their head that BOSS DOES NOT HAVE DOWN PRESSURE? :rolleyes:
  17. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Are you sure about Boss not having down pressure?.................Just kidding! I'm with Bolts on this....

18. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

1st., Boss does not have down pressure. 2nd., as for a hydraulic cylinder being upside down or working the same in both directions, there is a difference. A cylinder will always have more force extending than retracting and the reason is due to the rod displacing oil. To figure the power of a cylinder you take the surface of the piston and multiply that area by the P.S.I. of the oil and that gives you the extension force. When you figure the retracting force, you figure what the rods area is and subtract that from the area of the piston to get your total available surface area for the oil to be pushing on. Yes the cylinder will retract faster because there is less area for the oil to fill. Start looking around at excavators and backhoes, the cylinders will be set up to do the most work extending.
  19. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

UUmmmm....Hey guys, stop and think about his question / comment / statement.

Ask this... What is down pressure ? ( if there really is a definition )

Applied force from 1 object onto another object ?
    * If this is the case then the "weight" of the blade itself creates down pressure on the surface you are plowing.

What is the opposite of down ? up..... Up-pressure ? :eek:

So....Boss does not have down pressure ? :cry:
  20. smors

smors Junior Member

OK - I've been doing a lot of research on these plows and just drove a Boss last night.

For the sake of the people saying "BOSS DOES NOT HAVE DOWN PRESSURE" and the people disagreeing - allow me to be a neutral third party.

BOSS DOES NOT HAVE ACTIVELY CONTROLLED HYDRAULIC DOWN PRESSURE, i.e. Boss's down pressure is the same as Meyers or Westerns, its the weight of the blade. So as far as features go, BOSS DOES NOT HAVE DOWN PRESSURE. Of COURSE the weight of the blade creates force, but DOWN PRESSURE is a "feature" that Sno-Way makes a big deal out of.

And YES the Boss cylinder is "upside-down" in that it is inverted from the normal position of a Western lift ram. This is better for the ram because it prevents water/contaminants from sitting on the lip seal and getting sucked into the hydraulic system. In Boss's case they use a double acting cylinder (I think), so functionally it doesn't matter which way its mounted (aside from the difference in rod/piston area), its just mounted in the preferred way (from a hydraulic perspective).

On a Western you won't leave a drift after you go over a curb because it floats up on the chain. Any "Float" in the Boss is a kludge - I can't help but wonder WHY they don't have down-pressure since they have all the pieces in place.

I was trying to figure out what the red/green on the controller was as well. I think I'd rather have a chain... (I'm a simple man)