1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS dealers in MN?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by starspangled6.0, Dec 27, 2013.

1. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

We got our VXT from Crysteel in Fridley. Hands down, the worst vendor I've ever dealt with. I'm giving Snow Plows Plus in Buffalo a shot now. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a good Boss dealer in MN?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Really?!?!

What happened, I've been going there for years for Snowex stuff.

3. starspangled6.0

When we dropped the truck off 3 years ago to get it installed, they goofed on their schedule, so they needed an extra week to install it. It cost me a few days of work; never got more then an "oops" from Crysteel. We go to pick up the truck after they call and say "it's ready!", and no, it's not ready, they need 3 more hours. We finally get the truck, and it's totally trashed. Dropped it off clean, came back dirty. Even the guy who loaned me the $6600 to get the VXT was like, "Dude, these guys are $%!#heads!"

This year, I emailed them earlier this month for a quote on cutting edges. Still no reply. No big deal... I sent one of my guys out to Crysteel a few weeks ago to get the cutting edges. "Oops", they say, "Just sold out of those". No big deal... So I call today, and got the run around on the phone for 10 minutes (how hard is it to check inventory on 2 parts, guys?), and finally got confirmation that they have it in stock. I drive up, and what do you know, they just ran out again, and I'll have to wait a few days. I'm not one to rant against vendors online, but I'm done wasting time with them. My buying experience with Truck Utilities was the total opposite- the sales guy and I talked for an hour about how great the Duramax engine is; the downtime was around 3 days; and they even spent a half hour showing me how the dang thing works, as opposed to Crysteel's swipe-your-card-and-get-the-heck-out-the-door policy.

4. SnowGuy73

Well that sucks!

I have it where they are out of parts before but nothing like that.

Truck utilities is awesome! Everyone up there, Charlie, Wendy, everyone!

I bought a few truckcraft dumps from them and a Hiniker blade, great people to work with!

5. starspangled6.0

Both the Boss and Hiniker plows have been stellar. Most of you professional-types say to choose a plow based on dealer support. I'd prefer to go only Boss, but Truck U has won me over. Heck, in the time we've posted on this thread, I've already gotten 2 replies from Snow Plows Plus about what they've got in stock.

6. SnowGuy73

I've heard really good things about them too, but no first hand experience.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

When crysteel sold western I didn't care from them. I bought my first new plow from them and wasn't really impressed. The guy I sub one lot from bought a new dxt 9.2 ss and had them install it. He really likes the plow but there workmanship was terrible. They didnt grease anything, trip springs weren't adjusted...
    I have talked to the guys in Buffalo before, they seem decent. Good luck finding a good dealer.

8. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

What city are you based out of?

Crysteel is crysteel. Unfortantely all the boss dealers are sub dealers to them. It's hard on the sub dealers that need to work with them for inventory and such.

9. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Snow plow plus will take care of you every time. They are who I use when I need stuff quick other wise I order from ESI a sponsor on here.

10. starspangled6.0

We're out of St Paul so its an hour drive. I tried to call plow world in Blaine, but no one answered. I don't mind a little drive now and then, but hopefully we don't have a major breakdown on the Boss. As far as I know, Crysteel isn't open for storms like Truck U is.

11. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I use plow world mostly. Country side in anoka I have heard does good work also.

12. starspangled6.0

Drove out to Snow Plows Plus today. It was an hour drive, but with the sun rising behind me and the fresh hoar frost decorating the rolling forests of Orrono, Maple Plain, and Delano, it was such a nice trip. The total time spent interacting with Dave, to purchase 2 cutting edges, was about 10 minutes; I can't tell you how many hours it's taken at Crysteel. He had some bleep-worthy words to say about Crysteel when I shared why I would choose to drive an hour to his shop.

13. SnowGuy73

Good to hear you got what you needed.

14. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

I talked with them at the green expo last year and the guys were total dicks. I was looking at the new dxt. I only have expierence with the standard trip plows and had some questions

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Crysteel has been pretty decent with me but I can definitely see why some people may not like them. I think they're under staffed and it causes quite a bit of frustration among the employees and that rubs off on their customers.

Just call ahead and make sure everything's lined up before you arrive. I always make it clear that I'm driving down from 100 miles away so I'm not disappointed when I get there.

16. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know if this would be too far north for some of you guys, but I Highly recommend Stan's Radiator in Pine City.
    They installed my new V on my truck in less then a day. He even let me drive his minivan home and back when they were finished.
    I was in a hurry late last season when we were getting snow every other day.

17. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

They are great guys and will bend over backwards to help you.

18. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Try Smith Winter Products in Maple Grove. They are on 81. Larry has always been fair with everyone.