1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss cross bar weld fatigue

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Dec 13, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i noticed weld fatigue on the bar that the lift cylinder attaches to on the tower. has anyone else had this same problem? looks like one one side the fatigue starts where the weld ends and goes about 1/3 of the way around the bar. the other side the fatigue starts where the weld metal gets thin and works its way around about 1/4 the way around the bar. looks like i will need to weld in some braces.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Curious. Can you post any pictures of it?

3. 04superduty

can post pics but they would be to large, then dial up users would be pissed. :) havent taken pics yet but could take digital ones tomorrow.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Resize them or email them to me and I can resize and post them for you.

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

04superduty contact customer service at Boss about your weld and bar troubles.
    :rolleyes: John......................

6. 04superduty

garagekeeper ill give them a call but the plow is on its 3rd season so its out of warranty.

7. 04superduty

heres some pics that The Boss resized for me. Thanks again.
    The top one you can see where the fatigue is starting and seems worse, that is the drivers side. the other is the passengers side and isnt as bad. luckily my plow hasnt gotten much use since it hasnt snowed much. More projects for summer it looks like. :)
    i talked to the local boss dealer and they said they occasionally see the problem but not often. i know it was caused by me going alittle fast and hitting bumps which can stress the plow alot.

Resized_plowweldfatigue.jpg

Resized_plowweldfatigue2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  8. The Boss

Maybe my eyes are bad but that just looks like surface rust to me?

9. 04superduty

i was hoping it was just rust so i asked my welding instructor at college and he agreed that it was fatigue. he is also a weld inspector with more titles than i can remember.
    you can tell cause the metal is getting pulled down by the plow bouning when i drive. it is stressing the metal, since a weld is stronger than the surrounding metal if done right. hopefully it will last the rest of the season.

10. The Boss

Can you run another bead around there?

11. 04superduty

the best thing would be to weld some gussets and a piece of flat stock across the top of the bar. i could also weld another bead which might be a good temporary fix. good idea boss.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'll have to keep an eye on mine.