1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss crap goes up every month?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

This is irritating at the least especially when im trying to wrap up our purchases for this year...

ONE month ago, i bought TWO boss tailgate spreaders, the 600 and an 1100, so now we have 3 total.

They gave me prices, that were too low, didnt include any of the wiring/mounts etc.

So i paid $344 EACH spreader more than i originally was quoted. ok, still not a terrible deal but $700+ more

Same place, i want to go get another tgs1100 spreader, our 4th. NOW the kit/harness/controller is $44 MORE than the $345 i paid each last time.

I get a price on a standard duty 7'6" plow, new but a leftover 2007 model $3508 for steel and $3850 for poly.

Thats crazy, for a leftover, and at 2yr old prices? He said the 2009 stuff is at least $200-400 more now. So you guys are paying most recently over 4g for a 7'6" or 8' super duty straight plow not installed plus tax?

Keep in mind i paid $4485 for a 8'2" V XT NEW in the end of 2007, i also paid $1500 for a tgs1100 spreader.. this year i spend $1,585 and now a month later i have to spend yet another $45 on top of that for a total spreader cost of $1627 plus tax?

Theres like 10 other brands that have spreaders well into the sub $1200 range, and boss ones are $1600+ now? Ive gotten other quotes for them in the $1700/1800/1900 range! yikes, if we didnt already have all Boss stuff, id change brands by now, its rediculous, and dont come on here with all your dealer info saying the cost of poly has gone up and the cost of steel has gone up so your prices go up every 2 months :realmad:

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

There has been two price increases in the last 2 months with Boss. You are right, it is getting a bit excessive.

3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

We placed our preseaon order back in May of '08. Before our preseason order shipped, we got a letter in the mail stating that all of our preseason orders were getting a 6% surcharge added to it. All of the dealers in the country were angry about this and they subsequently took the 6% surcharge away. Once we ran out of our preseason, new orders were subjected to a 10% price increase. What are we supposed to do, eat it? It is dealers like us that keep you guys up and running in the middle of a snowstorm at 3am. If you dont like the pricing, go to a competitor who is at home sleeping while you are struggling to get your equipment to work.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Kevin and if you call Boss crap, why are you still buying it.

5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I don't think he was banging on the dealers. Just saying Boss is getting crazy. I agree. I bought a new 8'2" VXT about 1.5 months ago and paid $4800 uninstalled. I had to drive out of state to get it at that price. My local dealer was asking nearly $1000 more. They had said all their preseason plows were gone. We had another dealer who had preseasons left but he started selling them at the new prices. So if his dealers are like mine I totally understand where he is coming from. I would never expect anyone to eat a price increase and appreciate after hours service. But at least in my area we pay for that after hours service so it's not like the price increase is buying us something more.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The higher price buys you a better place in line, if that matters.

7. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I know we sticker shocked a few people when they had called a couple of months ago inquiring about plow pricing and never bought anything. Now, we are at our new (higher priced) in season pricing. It sucks for everyone that pricing has gone up but what hasnt gone up in price (besides gas)? I guess its the price of doing business?

8. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i bet its not only a boss thing, i bet its all the manufacturers. i love it when people are crying about paying a $100 extra bucks because prices for transportation and steel went up, but they have no problem wanting to charge the premium for their services to their own customers :confused:

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

It sucks for the dealers because I know alot of people are out trying to find used plows to get by.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ditto:drinkup:

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Well not sure about NY man, but NJ has seen NOTHING in 2 years now. Many plows are for sale used because so many are going out of the plowing business, insurances here eat up most profits and the cost of the plows, trucks, fuel etc, all eat up the other portion.

When plows are costing what they do these days plus a spreader, some of us are spending 5-10k on these setups PER truck. Thats just too much considering the chances we take to try and at very least re-coupe the cost of the equipment and wear and tear on trucks before we make a dime. These plows arnt anything overly special, especially those meyers ones and all others who still use the dangly chain systems, id feel real ripped off using them and still having to fork out a premium for the plow cost.

Deere, your right, tons of used ones for sale, lots beat up from neglect and left outdoors 365 a year, and im sure the dealers having prices in the 3k range new, and having found ones used for 2k, then finding out new 09s are nearly 4k, the used price is somewhere around 50% off, thats a substantial savings when you consider the most recent plows ive gotten this year ar next to mint condition aside from a few rusty spots on bolts here and there.

12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i hear yea but its the cost to play ball these days. even cpw had a disclaimer going out that after there first early bird order from manufacturers were solde the price was going up.

we have had a few ok winters with quite a few plowable events, i see what your saying about the bigger risk in NJ with the lack of snow.

13. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Great post, my Boss dealer sounds like you. I actually travel 65 minutes ( dry roads ) to do business with him. He is very knowigible and honest to do business with. I go to him every year to service my plow just to help in stay in business. He is the type of guy who would get out of bed 2:00 am for me. Last week i went to him for routine fall service, they found a broken bracket on my 4 year old 8.2 poly v. You would know what i mean being a dealer, he said it has been a weak spot for them because they only welded it on one side. He said they way i plow he would not want to fix it for me knowing it would break. He even called boss and told them i was a good customer, sent others, bought boss spreader, hid's, etc. They wouldn't help. I asked him for a price on the new xt he told me 2,700.00 difference i know how well he treated me it was his best deal, i went for it. I didnt care to put over a 1k in my old plow . He told me about the price increases and i well understand. His name btw is JW Flemming in Duncansville, Pa and i think the world of him.
    Mike