1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Controlls Questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Lucfw, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a few questions about the boss snow plows controlls. I am fairly new to snow plowing, and thats why I dont know the answers:confused: . I know that there are differnt controlers depending on the plow vee or straigt. I keep getting confused about the vee controlers such as what button moves what wing. Also I know that there is a salter box you use to control the tailgate spreader but is there something like that you use for the plow (not to control the plow but to take power from the truck to the plow). Is that where you plug your controller in? Is that where the rocker switch it? And can the salt controls and plow box (If there is something like that) be combined into one?
    Thanks

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The wiring harness for the plows and spreaders are seperate. There is a plug in the cab for each so the controllers can be taken out in the off season.

3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok thanks, so there is a box for the snow plow controller to be pluged in to? (sorry)

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Its just a simple 9 pin plug. Its just like a 4 flat trailer plug but its square and it has 9 connections. I'll get a pic up tomorrow or the next day. Its snowing like crazy right now and windy so I am not going outside until I have to. HAHA!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok i would love a pic (i learn better when i see it). I dont blame you for not wanting to go out now, where i am we got a pretty good sorm for this sesonThumbs Up. thanks alot.

6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

7. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I prefer Joystick over hand held myself. And then I have a separate controller for the salter. the salter controller is down low and out of easy reach, however I ran a separate switch on the side of the plow joystick box that controls on and off for the salter. this way I can kick salter on and off without having to lose focus of the road.

8. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

9. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

I never thought of that thanks

10. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

I also came up with another question what is the flout postion. I know on boss you put it on to attach but what do you normaly plow in float or what are the other setting you would plow in? thanks

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

float is for when you are plowing.
    the buttons on the left side control the left wing and right controls the right wing.....top button is up....bottom is down
    top left button makes the wing go out and lower left button retracts it....same for right side buttons(right wing)
    if it is a new plow there are other things the controller will do too

12. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

oh i see now about the controls. So when you lock the controller it locks the plow? then you have to put it back in to float mode? thanks

13. hydro_37

from iowa

if you mean turning it off then yes
    when you raise the plow you must hit float again for plowing

14. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

ok i see now thanks it helps alot. Is there a nother mode than float or will the plow just not move? thanks

15. hydro_37

from iowa

the plow is either up or down

16. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

ok so if float is a nother word for down? sorry i am pretty new:confused: thanks alot you have helped alot

17. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

In float the valve that releases the pressure from the lift cylinder is held open, allowing fluid to flow in and out of the cylinder and the plow "floats" on the road surface as you drive. If you just set the plow down without holding the button to engage float that valve is closed so the lift cylinder tries to stay in the same position. The plow will still stay on the ground, it just resists moving with the contour of the road.

18. hydro_37

from iowa

if you have a new stlye controller you have to hold the down button untill the red light on the controller come on...that is float

19. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

ooohhhhhhh i see know thank you guys alot for helping me out, its really appretiated. i under stand now. thanks agen!

20. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

OK got another another question (sorry guys it really helps). So the switch to take the power away from the truck to give it to the plow does ever plow/truck have to have that? also could you wire it to the uplifter switches if you have them? also what happens if you hit the switch accedentally when driving when the plow it off? and on the truck? thanks alot!