1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss control cupholder mount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Helldyce, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

Just made a new cupholder control mount for my new 2011 Silverado and thought I would share some pics. for anyone with the new Chevy truck w/ center consoles or cupholders. This is cheap, easy to make and works great. :drinkup:

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

2. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Looks good
    Put a patent on it,box it, and ship it out

3. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is slick!!!!

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

cool idea, should work out good for ya

5. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

zjm, I checked on the patent process and it looks like about $4,000.00 to file a patent, searches & filing fee, etc... Then you have a maint. fee every 3.5 ,7, and 11 years of the patent and they are not cheap ($1,500.00 to $2,500.00 every time). I would need to know if the demand and my profit would be worth the filing fees and maint. fees of the patent. I always thought the owner of the patent got the money when you patent an idea/design, not the gov't.:(

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

ha ha ha uncle sam let us make a buck not going 2 happen

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

just make some and sell them
    slick unit

8. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

Improved design

Just using some more brain energy. I improved the orginal prototype design by caping the bottom and triming the rubber collar back. This makes the design more useful for storage. Everything is glued except the top cap so it can be removed to access the storage area and if I want I can fill the bottom with lead shot to increase the weight in the bottom. The holder is really heavy and sturdy as it is because construction material is Sch. 40, but extra would not hurt. MADE IN USAussmileyflag

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Cut a hole for a super long straw, fill with fav beverage....double duty...

I like it and that interior. Just needs to be color matched.

10. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I was actually kidding about the patent.
    Just tell everyone what materials you used with measurements for a DIY project.
    You got skills for coming up with that idea though,good luck!

11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Would be very cool if Sch40 could be bought in black. Even gray would not look bad.

12. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

I have a jar that I stuck a GPS mount on that fits in the cupholder, for weight it gets an assortment of nuts, bolts and washers. Gives me something handy for when one has an emergency and needs a bit of hardware to get by with. I try to stock it with stuff for the season, so summer it gets bolts common to my excavators, winter stuff that will be useful for the plows.

13. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

Dieseld, I know that would be nice if the color was impregnated into the plastic. I thought about painting this, but I think it would just wear off and look crappy.

14. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I know they make a grey PVC. I believe you can get black as well, even clear ( but it is expensive ).
    What about spray bombs made for plastic? It might wear off some, but 1 can would allow you to touch it up for a couple years, I would think.

Anyways, nice idea. Saved me a few bucks. I was going to buy something for mine, but now I think I'll hit up my local hardware store and make something simular. I know you said sch 40 pipe, but what OD reducer as that ( 6" to 3" ??), and what is that rubber on it?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  15. Helldyce

Helldyce Member

Jim, I used 2" and 3" PVC. The rubber item is at Home Depot in the sewer plumbing isle. It is a fitting used to join 2" pvc into a 2" cast iron pipe hub.

These are the items you want:
    2" PVC flat cap
    2" PVC pipe 3" long
    2" PVC X 2" cast Iron hub rubber fitting
    3" PVC X 2" PVC reducer fitting
    3" PVC pipe 4" long
    3" PVC flat cap
    Industrial strength Velcro ( stick on )

Notes:
    Use clear primer and glue / not the purple stuff.
    You can make the 3" diameter pipe length longer or shorter to adjust to the height that you may need.
    Make sure you get Sch. 40 PVC pipe and fittings.
    Sch. 30 PVC pipe has different interior and external diameters than Sch. 40
    Home Depot sells PVC caps that have a rounded top. I had to purchase the flat caps at a local hardware store.
    If you want to make it with the storage area you will have to trim the rubber back on the bottom to make up for the bottom cap.
    I also drilled a small 1/8" hole in the middle of the top cap so it would not create a vaccum when removing the top cap.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Pretty cool idea!!!

17. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

It is pretty cool.. what controller is that..I have the handheld remotes for all my boss plows and am looking for a good mount idea other than the holder that comes with it to mount to the dash.

18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

He has the newer hand held. The handle can be removed by removing 2 screws in the handle.